BDSM/Leaving master.

Question
Hello,

I wanted to know your thoughts on what would constitute reasonable justification as well as respectful protocol for a would-be slave leaving their master.  I love my master to death, I knew him for 4 years before even thinking about anything sexual with him, much less D/s; he's been one of my best friends for a long, long time, and I do not want to do anything to hurt him.  However, he is hurting me, and either will not listen to me, or doesn't care.  I'd like to think the former, but at this point it really doesn't matter.  He is wishy-washy about whether he wants a slave, specifically me, and does not want to step up and be consistent in the ways that I need him to be in order to continue serving him. But he also doesn't want to let me go.  I have done everything in my power to embrace wholeheartedly his desire to make me his and be the best slave I can be for him; in fact at the risk of sounding like a petulant three-year-old I can safely say he started this whole thing in the first place, as I would never have known how enthusiastically I would take to it had he not been the one to be so insistent.  Yet whenever we get *too* close he lashes out, deliberately making statements to make me feel like I am nothing more than a convenient lay, despite the fact that he has been in varying states of awe of me since we met, we have since been through thick and thin together in various guises and he says I am one of, if not (and I suspect) *the* best friend he's ever had, and I strongly suspect that the fact that I of all people not only did not reject him but actually agreed to be his slave has and continues to mean even more to him than it does to me, (which is saying something).  Furthermore, when I do try to let him go after one of his... 'episodes', (or when I've just had enough of the uncertainty), he suddenly does an about-face and Will. Not. Stop. Calling.  "I miss you..." After enough of these cycles I finally broke down and asked to go no contact until *I* was ready to be platonic friends, since he obviously didn't want me as a slave, and despite initial agreement and pledged support, he couldn't even go a month.  Repeatedly.  I finally only conned him into giving me two by promising to come back earlier than I thought, if only he would just actually leave me alone for that time.

I am tired of it.  Push-pull, push-pull.  I do not deserve to feel bad about myself because he does not know what he wants, nor do I deserve to be made to feel like a convenient piece of ass because he can't get his shit together.

There's more to it than that, and I have a great deal of respect and compassion for his situation, why he would be hesitant to "commit", even though I'm not necessarily looking for anything from him in that vein in the classic sense, certainly not right this second, but I do *not* think my desire to see him happy and to please him should be treated with the level of disdain with which his low self-esteem keeps pummeling it.  

I am not stupid.  I understand abusive patterns.  He fits all the criteria, even as he has also been incredibly supportive in many, many ways.  I love him dearly, and I do not want to leave.  We have an intense bond on several levels, D/s just being one of them, and I would die before I would willingly harm him.  I also absolutely crave his presence in my life, how much from the sheer force of the submissive dynamic, my (waning! :)) codependent tendencies/Stockholm syndrome, or my intensely genuine love for him and our friendship I have no idea anymore.  I do know it's some combination of all of the above.

As a genuine master, who based on your posts I presume puts a great deal of thought into the well-being of his sub(s), what would you suggest I do?  Where would you draw the line for yourself, and/or expect your subs to do so, and how would you want them to carry it out if you were unable (for whatever reason)?  I find myself still wanting to care for him and please him, even as he makes it nearly impossible.  I am also not sure how to stuff my devotion to him back down into Pandora's Box, now that it has been released.

Thank you for your help.  <3.

Answer
e

Clearly the relationship is not working for you, and his inconsistency is a sign of his disinterest. You probably have become a convenience item to him.  So dealing with the latter first; you have placed your emotions into a tangle, these have to be unwound from the relationship. Once that is done it will be easier on you. I would actually think if you made yourself available for others you might ease that issue.

As to the divorce from your Master, (I pick the words deliberately). You need to be honest, polite and distinct with him. That will make the break honest. There is nothing I hate more than dishonesty; and submissives or slaves who play at it piss me off. I would much rather a clean break in an adult manner than the typical vanilla approach of deception and slowly dialing back until the inevitable is forced simply out of animosity.

BDSM

Aramock Nanuck