BDSM/Platonic Power Exchange

Question
I am happily married.  I have always been the dominate one in our relationship (we started dating at 18, we're now 46).  I am a control freak mainly due to stuff that happened in my past.  I find now though that I crave/need to be submissive - not so much in the bedroom, but I want to hand control over and make the choice to submit. First, I can't figure out if I'm nuts or if this normal? I have had this strong desire for over a year. I am totally fascinated by power transfer. I have a male friend (I'm female) that is a Dom - he is in a poly relationship with 2 men.  He and I have talked about having him be my platonic dom- it would be long distance with some visits throughout the year.  My husband knows him and likes him.  We have known each other since we were kids and trust each other completely.  Neither one of us is interested in the other sexually.  Is this crazy? Am I crazy to want/need to do this?

Answer
There is no limitation on what can or can't be done -- so on paper, there is nothing crazy about you being married to one person and submissive to another.  Similarly, there is nothing unusual or impossible about a poor-based relationship that is non-sexual or non-romantic.

But don't take that as an affirmation to go running head-long into a new relationship.  Before you get ahead of yourself, I suggest you pose, ponder and answer the following questions for you, your husband, and your potential Dominant partner:

1.  Do you envision boundaries (other than non-sexual) with this new partner (I'll call Master).  What is authority over you?  Could he tell you to leave your husband?Change jobs? Cancel a vacation? Buy a new car?  

2.  Put differently, over what aspects of his life would he control?

3.  What does he get in return for taking whatever level of responsibility is negotiated?  Will you be providing service of some sort?  Companionship? financial compensation?

4.  What are the time requirements, and do you have the time to meet his needs, have your need met, and maintain the rest of your life?

5.  Does he have the experience and skill to assume control over the things you wish him to control?

6.  Is his style of management/leadership/communication consistent with your style of taking direction/learning/communicating?

7.  Your husband is OK in the abstract.  Once the details take shape, how does he feel?

The questions are definitely unsexy.  But assuming you want to get beyond a weekend fantasy, they are the types of question that will lead you to conclude whether it can work or not.  I hope you find your answer

BDSM

Ben Martin