Bahá`í/clarification

Question
I sent you two emails yesterday. I'm not trying to say the baha'i faith is more appropriately on the political right either. Internally, there is this active discouragement of any vigorous discussion of some issues, like the suppression of the modest proposal essay. Externally, the baha'i faith has this decided reputation as allegiants to issues more on the liberal left, such as the obsession with Martin Luther King, Jr and the commemoration day. MLK was obviously a smart, disciplined man who skipped a full two years of his educational process. The hagiographic renderings of his life also sharply downplay his sexual promiscuity while married. I'm not pretending he needed to be perfect, but it is similar to the comment made about Mirza Yahya at the youth conference. There is an accepted measure of discourse and nothing more. I have no interest to turn every last normal conversation into a miniature version of the association for baha'i studies; as I have mentioned when I encountered this invisible intellectual perimeter a number of times I have been reprimanded.

Recently, I simply referred to the local baha'i fellowship as a 'congregation.' I like to add variety to my vocabulary and nothing more. The gentleman with whom I was speaking immediately took exception and because the word 'congregation' rhymes with 'denomination' it is suggestive of the Remeyite fellowships. As far as you know, has baha'i community life always had this eccentric aspect? I was not at all thinking of the Remeyite organizations. They are so few in number I wonder why they even come up.

Answer
Zach,

Well, the PC approach can be irritating, but MLK was a great man, human and flawed, but still managed to live his life for great causes to help others and the Nation, indeed, the world.

Here's what Abdul-Baha teaches: "The shining spark of truth cometh forth only after the clash of differing opinions" and "The conscience of man is sacred and to be respected." The Haifans under the Imamate of Shoghi Effendi have allowed themselves to be seduced into a denomination that repudiates those words, all of which indicates how deep the malaise is for them.

All the fanaticism and social coercion arise with Shoghi Effendi's takeover of Abdul-Baha's loving and universal Bahai Movement in 1921. The "eccentric aspect" all stems and flows from the fraudulent will. The Reform Bahai Faith website has all the key documents involved, if interested.

Again, for the full scope of the problem, see

The Baha'i Faith & Religious Freedom of Conscience
<code>http://www.fglaysher.com/bahaicensorship/<code>

"An Analysis of Abdul-Baha's 1912 Authentic Covenant" discusses Mr. Remey:
<code>http://www.reformbahai.org/Covenant_comments.html<code>

Thank you for your thoughtful questions. I'm sure they'll help other people, too, who are probably trying to figure out the same kind of things about the Wilmette and Haifan Baha'is.

Bahá`í

Frederick Glaysher