Bahá`í/a question about Charles Mason Remey

Question
When I attended a youth conference at Louis Gregory in my late teens, one of the presenters made some very emotionalistic comments about Mirza Yahya (to the best of my recollection, he suggested that people spit at the mention of his name). In my personal opinion, what Mirza Yahya did or did not do to Baha'u'llah in the 19th century has little relevance to current baha'i discussions of spirituality. Also, the majority of the people to whom this gentleman was speaking had not likely even heard of Mirza Yahya. In all fairness, it is highly likely that the Bab did in fact appoint the half-brother of Baha'u'llah to be the administrative head of the Babi community after his death. There is more to the discussion than demonizing a dead person. Similarly, in the previous email I sent you I referred to Charles Mason Remey. I was not personally endorsing Mr. Remey as the second guardian of the faith. I was referring to his family background, personal temperament, and the 65 years he spent as a baha'i in good standing. During that 65 years he contributed massively to the administrative development, international expansion, and introductory literature of the faith. Similarly, most baha'is don't actively think about Mr. Remey. The point is that whenever Mirza Yahya or CM Remey are brought up, it seems to almost necessitate a highly emotionalistic aspect to the conversation. It is as if the sheer mention of such a person's name is tantamount to a violation of the covenant. I've had a number of really awkward conversations with Baha'is who have honors degrees from well-ranked universities along these very lines. It is not even that I try to bring it up to any disproportionate extent. Why is there this circumscribed mode of discussion within the baha'i faith? It feels more appropriate to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

Answer
Baha'u'llah and Abdul-Baha both repudiated and moved away from Iranian Shiism and its fanaticism. Abdul-Baha increasingly opened up the Bahai teachings of his father to the more universal outlook of the Western world as he experienced it during his journeys throughout Europe, the United Kingdom, and the USA during the nineteen-tens.

What is important to understand is that Shoghi Effendi and his family wrote a fraudulent will and testament in 1921, which subverted the liberal and universal outlook of Abdul-Baha back to fanatical Shiism, greed for wealth, and power politics. Through "taqqiya" (taqiya, taqiyyih), essentially lying to the infidels, and "takfir," identifying and denouncing infidels, key Baha'i concepts," most Bahais have been kept under control and prevented from realizing what the actual teachings of Abdul-Baha actually were and are. Fear, demonization, and slander are powerfully coercive tools when used on people. Brainwashing can work with people of even high intellectual ability, let alone the weak and feeble minded, desperate to believe. That is why tyrannies always end up using it.

For much of the results of that kind of fanaticism on Baha'is during the last 80 years or so, see <code>http://www.fglaysher.com/bahaicensorship/<code>

The irony is that those who shout the loudest about the "covenant" are actually the ones who violated it--Abdul-Baha's 1912 Covenant, delivered publicly in New York:
<code>http://www.reformbahai.org/Covenant.html<code>

I should add, too, that the rewriting and falsification of history are essential to the maintenance of the status quo within the Haifan Baha'i Faith. That's why all books and articles are censored and people with any other view than that imposed by Shoghi Effendi are demonized, "shunned," and attacked as "covenant breakers." Again, the irony is that those making such allegations are in fact the real covenant breakers.

Abdul-Baha's simple, global universality will win out in the end... exemplified by Jenabe Fazel and other early Bahais.

I hope this helps you understand the Bahai denominations a little more.  

Bahá`í

Frederick Glaysher