Bahá`í/What are the voting habits of Baha'is

Question
I was not present at the 1988 national convention (I was not a baha'i, and I would have only been 13). The main legacy of that is the public denunciation of the modest proposal essay, which no one had heard of and now thousands of people know about it because of Firuz Kazemzadeh's wild over-reaction to an unpublished, largely uncirculated article. A person would think there was a wide-spread movement to create a left-liberal internal faction within the north american baha'i community, when that likely has never been the case. That begs the question that the solid majority (maybe overwhelming majority) of American Baha'is vote democrat anyway. In your opinion, who have been some prominent baha'is in the American baha'i community, past and present, who have been more likely to be republican? Charles Mason Remey comes to mind, in part because he was self-consciously from an elite family and his father was an admiral. Professor Kazemzadeh also comes to mind, in all honesty, for similar reasons. Without attempting to read any one's minds as far as political opinions are concerned, what comments do you have?

Answer
Hello Zach,

My apologies for taking a few days to get to your questions.

To help readers who might be unfamiliar with your reference to "A Modest Proposal," it was an article that was intended to be published in the supposedly "independent" Baha'i magazine dialogue in S U M M E R / F A L L 1 9 8 7. The full title was "A Modest Proposal: Recommendations Toward the Revitalization of the American Baha'i Community." It was banned and censored, as was the magazine, and forced to close, or, I should say, the editors were driven into silence or left the Baha'i faith, if memory serves. More details about it may be found on my website  The Baha'i Faith & Religious Freedom of Conscience  Much more discussion about the incident can be found there and on the Net, for those interested. Just google it.

Now to the questions. No, there's never been a "wide-spread movement to create a left-liberal internal faction." That's the paranoia of the Iranian Shiism that Shoghi Effendi returned the liberal Bahai Movement of Abdul-Baha to after his death in 1921, ever increasingly transforming it into an oppressive cult, while hiding the fact from the majority of innocent and unsuspecting followers, deceived into accepting a false history of Abdul-Baha's interpretation for the modern world. I'll expand on this in one of your other posts.

I've never polled Baha'is on the basis of political party affiliation. I believe you're right, though, that most would tend to vote democrat, while finding neither party compatible.

You can find more background on much of that on the Reform Bahai Faith website:
<code>http://www.reformbahai.org<code>

Bahá`í

Frederick Glaysher