Bahá`í/Reform Bahai Faith Compared with the Wilmette Baha'i Faith

Question
What's the difference between the Reform Bahai Faith and what people call the Haifan Baha'i Faith in Wilmette, Illinois?

T.

Answer
Question:

Thank you for your question. It’s one people often ask, so I’ll make a serious effort to be as comprehensive as possible, focusing on and suggesting what I think are the essential issues.

Following Baha’u’llah’s death in 1892, Abdul-Baha, his son and appointed interpreter of his father’s teachings, guided the Bahai Movement until his own death in 1921. Like his father, Abdul-Baha himself was often imprisoned and persecuted by fanatical Muslims, yet continued to teach Baha'u'llah's faith. By the end of the first decade of the 20th Century, there were early Bahais in Europe, the United Kingdom, and the United States, many of whom were inviting Abdul-Baha to travel to their respective countries so that they could meet him. Throughout that decade, too, many had, indeed, traveled to what was then Palestine to meet him. Starting in 1910 Abdul-Baha traveled to Egypt, then to Great Britain and France in 1911. In 1912 he visited the United States, traveling from New York to Chicago and on to San Francisco, as well as other cities. Through his travels and public speaking, Abdul-Baha gained a first-hand, personal knowledge and experience of the West. It had a tremendous impact on his interpretation of the implications of Baha’u’llah’s teachings, essentially resulting in a much more open, universal conception of the Bahai Movement and Faith.

Crucial to his understanding was Abdul-Baha’s Authentic Covenant of 1912, which he publicly delivered in New York City on June 19th of that year. <a href="www.reformbahai.org/Covenant.html">
A broad, open, universal conception of religion, it was destined to be subverted by power-hungry members of his own family upon his death in 1921 when they advanced a fraudulent document as his “will and testament,” and which was later judged a fraud in 1930 by the leading forensic researcher and document expert for the British Museum, Dr. C. Ainsworth Mitchell. Fifty-six percent of all the Bahais at the time of Abdul-Baha’s death, many of whom had known him personally, either visiting him in Palestine or upon his travels, soon realized his universal interpretation of religion for the modern age was being put aside in favor of an authoritarian theocracy and voted with their feet.

Many others, Ruth White preeminently, spoke and wrote a number of books detailing what was taking place. As has so often been done in religious history, she and others were branded as heretics, many just walking away from the rising insurgency of fanaticism, with five denominations now arguing who is the rightful successor to the defective “will and testament.” Subsequent history written by the various Baha’i denominations has all suppressed and rewritten the historical record, preventing many well-meaning and genuine people who become Baha'i from knowing the truth of the early years of the faith in the West. All of the publications and written sources of the last decade of Abdul-Baha's life that preserve the record of his authentic interpretation have been maligned and suppressed, deceiving and brainwashing the innocent into a corrupted version of history. It's become a very constraining iron cage for true believers.    

It should be noted that the largest of the denominations, what you refer to as the Haifan Baha’is of Wilmette, has repeatedly sued and attacked other denominations in the US Federal Courts, apparently trying to harass and destroy them, as early as 1941 before the New York Supreme Court, most recently from 2006 to 2010, in the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals of Northern Illinois, specifically against the Orthodox Baha’i Faith, the Baha’is Under the Provisions of the Covenant, and the Bahá’ís of the United States of America Under the Hereditary Guardianship. That fact can be verified from the US District Court website:  ​

Public Access to Oral Argument February 2009. ​​Case No. 08-2306
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/oralArguments/oar.jsp?caseyear=08&casenumber=2306&

Direct to the Mp3 file
Judge Diane S. Sykes: "Clearly raises some constitutional concerns."
Judge William J. Bauer: "How about Reform Bahai?"
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/sound/2009/migrated.orig.08-2306_02_20_2009.mp3

Public Access to Court Opinion PDF. ​​Case No. 08-2306.  http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Time=any&FromMonth=&FromDay=&Fr
​​
It’s important to understand that persecution of other Bahais by the largest Baha’i denomination is nothing new. It began as early as 1921, under Shoghi Effendi, Abdul-Baha’s grand son, who took the Bahai Movement basically back to the Iranian fanaticism that Baha’u’llah and Abdul-Baha had fought so hard to move away from. Such persecution has never ceased, and many believe continues. Hence, one of the major differences between the Reform Bahai Faith and the other denominations, especially the Haifan branch, located, actually, in Haifa, Israel, is that we do not practice what is fundamentally Iranian Shiite Islamic “Takfir,” defined by one great scholar of Islam as the “identification and denunciation of infidels,” hidden behind the Western sounding term “shunning.”

Baha’u’llah had taught that he had “removed from the Book” of religion all that type of thing, which Abdul-Baha had reasserted repeatedly and unwaveringly, especially throughout his travels in the West, emphasizing and praising profusely the universality of perspective of such early Reform Bahais as Jenabe Fazl, who achieved the honor of being declared an infidel by Shoghi Effendi. Putting it another way, Abdul-Baha had never tired of raising the minds of people to the non-exclusivism of religious truth, the separation of church and state, and the permanent pluralism and oneness of humanity.

For a clearer understanding of the Reform Bahai Faith, I invited you to read or skim our “About” page:  http://www.reformbahai.org/about.html​

For further historical details, An Analysis of Abdul-Baha's 1912 Authentic Covenant
http://www.reformbahai.org/Covenant_comments.html

Ruth White, an Early Reform Bahai, including her books.
http://www.reformbahai.org/Ruth_White.html

I hope this all helps answer your question. I’ve tried to emphasis what lies at the heart of the matter. Thank you again for asking your question.

Best wishes and Bahai regards,

Frederick  Glaysher

The Reform Bahai Faith
http://www.reformbahai.org  

Bahá`í

Frederick Glaysher