Ballet/Pointe shoe question!

I recently saw a video of Megan Fairchild cutting the sides of her pointe shoes to follow the arch. ( Now, I realize this was just for her maker, but is there any way I can cut and sew my shoes like that too? If yes how so? Thanks!

Hi Olivia. You can always try, though you may ruin a pair of pointe shoes in doing so. MF cut her shoes to send  her maker a sample - whereas you will sewing your own in order to use them, is that what you're planning?

You can experiment with that, but first try on some different brands and try to find a shoe with less depth.

I've never done this myself, so I can't offer any ideas.

All the best with your pointe work!  

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.