Ballet/Point Shoes

I love dancing, i have been taking dance classes for about 5 years. When I turned 14, i started ballett (one year ago). I love it and i have already skipped into level 2. My two questions: 1.Can I teach myself point shoes? and 2. Is there any chance of me being abel to become a profesional?
Thanks in advamce

Hi Keara.The general answer to your questions would be no, and no,

It's not a good idea to teach yourself pointe. It's up to your teacher to determine if you're strong enough and skilled enough technically to start pointe.

Becoming a professional at your age is unlikely but not impossible. Since I can't see you dance, and I don't know what kind of school you're in and how good your teachers are, I truly couldn't answer your question.

However, you can start learning pre-pointe exercises. There are some articles on that describe foot exercises and there is also this article:

Foot exercises do prepare you for pointe and strengthen your feet for jumps as well.

All the best! Dianne.

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.