Hello so I actually have some questions about ballet...I am 14 a started ballet two months ago.
1. In how much time will I go on point?
2. How many classes should I take to on point quickly?
3. Should I try to take also a pilates or gymnastic class to improve in flexibility and strength or only ballet?
4. If I want to become good I know I have to train at home daily but sometimes I just tell myself "I'll do it later" and I never actually do can I get focus?

I am sorry for all this questions!
Thank you,

Hi Cassie. Since I can't see you dance I will answer these questions in a general way.

Pointe work is usually considered when a student has had three years of training and at least three classes a week in the past year.

Pilates is excellent for supporting ballet training. Gymnastics would not be. Pilates is something you can do at home if you learn mat training.

What you can do at home is Pilates and special foot exercises to train your foot muscles for point work. Here is an article describing them:

You will see more articles about ballet and pointe technique down the left side of that page that you will find helpful.

If you have trouble with focus ballet training will not be easy for you! But you don't have to do ballet at home - in fact you shouldn't in early training.

Enjoy your dancing!

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.