I'm a 17 year old girl. Ballet is my passion! I want to start ballet? Is it too late?
When will I be able to go en pointes? My feet, legs and ankles are strong because I exercise everyday.
But there is a problem. My parents can't afford ballet classes. So I thought I can get small job in town.
I just don't know where. I have done waitressing but I'm not good with it. And I can't bake anything and sell
it because my parents don't have money for all the ingredients. Please answer ASAP I need advice
I really want to start ballet!

Hi Dede.

17 years old is very late to start ballet as a professional student. It would probably be about three years before you get into pointe shoes, and only if you were taking at least three classes a week.

Contact your local studios and see if one of them has work at the studio that you could do in exchange for a class...and go from there.

If you want to study ballet recreationally, it does not matter how old you are.

I hope you do find a class and love the dancing!

All the best, Dianne.

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.