Ballet/Odd injury

In the last 2 weeks, I have noticed what feels like sore muscle pain on the inner/lower part of my leg.  It almost feels like shin splints only on the inside of the leg instead of the shin side.  (Can you get shin splints on the side?)  I don't notice it in flat ballet class until we do jumps like tour jetes or jetes where we land on one leg.  I also notice the soreness when rolling up en pointe.  It feels better after rest, but we are 1.5 weeks away from tech week for Sleeping Beauty, so I can't rest too much.  In case it matters, I am in my mid-thirties and have been dancing for about 10 years, en point for 3 years, Vagonova class level 5-6ish.  Any insight is appreciated.

Hi Carrie. It sounds like you definitely have a sprain/strain developing, probably an over-exertion injury.

I recommend you see a physical therapist or chiropractor immediately, and ideally one who can do kinesiology taping. You will be told to rest, and you are limited for resting right now. Taping, done properly is to allow minimal increase of injury while you work.  is one of many references about taping.

The fact that the pain is on the inside of the leg leads me to think you are rolling in on that ankle. I can't see you, so that's a wild assumption on my part. It may be occurring only on certain movements, as you describe above.

If this is the case you can retrain that foot/leg, strengthen up those sole of the foot muscles and the turnout of that leg as well. If that's the case. It may be from repetition of the choreography you're rehearsing right now.

Hope this helps! Definitely see a dance/sports practitioner, and state right away that you need to be active right now.

All the best, Dianne

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.