Ballet/flat feet

I have flat, but very strong, feet.  I've been in ballet since I was two and I am now 20 and in college.  My feet were quite a struggle when I first began pointe at age 10.  I have been cleared by a pediatrist and my feet are safe to be on pointe.  What can I do to either lift my arch or make pointe in general a more pleasurable experience.  I have tried gaynors but I don't particularly like the synthetic feel of the shoe, they did work pretty well for me, but I do think the shank was a bit too soft which could tend to make things a little difficult. The main struggle for me is getting up and over my box completely in shoes that aren't practically dead. What are some good stretch and exercises I can do to make my arch lift and what shoes do you suggest for people with my issue.

Hi Hayden.  gives some choices of pointe shoes that will help you.   is an article about strengthening the forefoot. It is a great help in pointe work for every dancer.   will tell you how to get more flexibility in your ankle joint.

This should help - and enjoy your dancing! Regards, Dianne.

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.