Ballet/Sprained ankle (I think...)

Today I was rehearsing my variation and somehow, really, somehow, I managed to gently 'sit' on the floor after double pirouette.
My ankle probably tilted and there was a crack heard. However, despite a little swelling and discomfort when I try to move my feet in some directions, everything seems normal. I didn't feel any pain at that moment and I still don't feel anything bad. I can normally walk etc. which makes me think that it is just a simple, not dangerous sprain.
If the swelling and discomfort disappears in a few days, do I need to visit a doctor? What do I need to do to recover faster? If I feel alright, can I dance after 3 free days which I'll spent resting?

I'll be waiting for your reply, as quickly as possible. Thank you!

Hi Julija - there is no exact formula for healing, though a general one is RICE - rest, ice, compress (as in wrap), and elevate.

Elevate the leg at hip level whenever you sit - to let the swelling drain or not build up further. Ice once an hour if you are able, with the ice pack wrapped and not contacting the skin directly - about 7-10 minutes.

I'd recommend you see a practitioner such as a chiropractor or physical therapist, and one who knows taping. Sometimes taping properly allows you to dance, but I wouldn't know that in your case.

If you heard a crack when you fell, you may have had a misalignment occur in one of the joints. An adjustment by a chiropractor in that case would speed healing.

I hope these ideas help - your lack of pain sounds good, and how you attend to this may also relate to how long you plan to dance. I always recommend getting seen by a professional if you can.

All the best, Dianne.

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.