My daughter is14 and enjoys her ballet. The school she was at only offered her 1advanced class a week.untill recently as other girls moved up so the teacher put on 3classes as them girls have always had that  they also do shows and dance for 3hours a day being at an associate or extra problem is the teacher said she would teach my dd in the holidays.but just recently told meshe has changed her mind as my dd is too intense and needs to have 8weeks off to relax .she said she has no warmth does not smile she has no presentation .but they told me they can help her by having the time off not being in the show and not doing exams.can what they are doing really help her long term because at the moment she is feeling left out bored nothing to aim for no challenges and she is getting stiff. Have you any advice  for my dd

Hi Maureen. I understand that this is a "psychological" holiday for your daughter. She could take some Pilates classes to keep her strength, and learn some yoga. Yoga would help her relax and help her stay flexible. It doesn't sound like your daughter is enjoying her dancing. I wonder if she would be happier in acting lessons where there is more of an emotional outlet?

I am only wondering of course since I can't give any real advice over this distance! I hope this helps!

Regards, Dianne

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.