Dear Dianne, I am about to start pointe work for the first time, but I already have bunions on my feet, even though I've never been en pointe. Would it be better if I just didn't do pointe work at all?

Hi liz. It's hard for me to say. is an article that discusses bunions. You can ask your teacher also to check that your pointe shoes fit well with the toe spacers. Don't sew the ribbons on until the shoes are checked for a good fit in case you need to exchange them.

Bunions aren't a reason not to do pointe unless you have pain and inflammation already. If not, use the spacers and you even train the big toe to go straight again.

Hope this helps!

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.