Ballet/Demi Pointe...

I wanted to know how many years of ballet you have to do to go on demi pointe. I am in a new class and some girls have demi point shoes...I don't know if I am ready yet and my teacher doesn't know me so I can't ask her...
Also I want to know more about the diet that I should have. I don't want to lose weight or anything I just want to know if eating some kind of things can make me improve...
Finally I stretch every night 45 minutes, should I start doing it morning and nights?
Thank you!

Hi Katy. Generally dancers need three years of ballet training, with at least three classes a week in their year previous to working in pointe shoes.

I never had dancers use demi-pointe shoes. When they were ready they started basic movements in pointe shoes.

However, here are some great exercises to strengthen your sole-of-foot muscles for preparing your feet for pointe shoes:

These muscles will develop the control and "cat-like" quality your feet need.

Diet - just eat good fresh foods and no junk! Lean proteins salads and vegetables. Eggs.

Here's a site that's all about pointe shoes and stretching if you'd like to read more about those!

All the best! Dianne.

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.