Ballet/Pointe Exercises

Hi there!
I have been en pointe for just over a semester now and I still can't get fully up over the top of my shoe. My ankles are quite strong, so I don't think this is the problem. My point in my feet isn't great though. Could this be a reason? Also do you have any exercises I could do to help me get up onto my shoe completely?
Kind Regards,

Hi Eliza! Below is an article I wrote describing how to release tension in the lower leg and stretch the ankle joint and top of foot gently and safely.

Make sure you have the right pointe shoe for your foot type:

And here are foot exercises to strengthen your feet:

These exercises will help you get control of your foot muscles.

All the best, Dianne.

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.