Ballet/dance audition dvd

Hi, we are in the beginning process of putting together an audition video for our daughter to send to a dance school in Europe.  She has spent the last 2 summers dancing there and wishes to complete her high schooling there at their dance school/boarding school.  We need to submit a video of modern, ballet, and improv.  What guidelines can you give us for what we should submit?  The school has some example videos online--but very few.  Also, do we need music rights for the music she dances to on the video?  I can send the name of the school to you privately if it would help.  Thank you.

Hi Dawn. I would advise following the exact guidelines the school gives. What you want the most is choreography that shows off your daughter's strengths. It is a plus that the teachers are familiar with her already!

I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned needing music rights for an audition DVD - I doubt that. You could always call your local musician's union if you want to double check. I believe when there is no commercial use you don't need rights.

If a pianist plays the music for her material, then no problem!

All the best to your dancing daughter!  

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.