My teache in pointe class says I  need to work on the strength in my ankles before the recital in June and I don't know exactly how to do that. Do you happen to have anything that may help me. I have always want to be in pojnte and I was finally allowed in my the teacher, but now I wonder if I can do what I need to be able to do.

Hi Scarlett. Here is a link to a blog post I wrote about foot exercises:

If you do those every day - with a rest day of course - your feet will get strong!

You can use a Pinkie ball or a tennis ball to roll under your feet and relax them after the exercises.

The sole of the foot muscles are what will control your movement in pointe shoes. If they are strong your calf muscles don't have to do all the work.

It is also very protective of the Achilles tendon, when your foot muscles are strong.

You'll see other technical articles too, down the left sidebar.

Enjoy your dancing!

All the best, Dianne.  

Dianne M. Buxton

I can answer questions about ballet positions, ballet movements and ballet technique, pointe shoes and pre pointe exercise, mens training, ballet diet, general health issues related to dance, artistry, performance, modern dance, rehabilitation from injuries, and teaching ballet. I have taught ballet, choreographed, produced and directed dance companies. For any answers related to health questions I will offer my experience, and give references to information, but I also automatically include "see a professional".

dancer, ballet and modern, choreographer, dance teacher, artistic director, ballet mistress, producer

I.S.T.D. Actra, Actors Equity

Graduate of the National Ballet School of Canada where I studied Cecchetti, Bournonville, Vaganova and Graham technique. Taught at the National Ballet School of Canada, York University, George Brown College and Harvard University.