Bamboo/Bamboo Roots

My question is I have a lucky bamboo that's has lots of long and health roots.  The question is call I cut just the roots, no plant just the roots, put them in water and start a new plant?  If not how do you start a luck bamboo plant from start with out using another plant?  I would like to say thank you for your time.

Dear Debbie,
Bamboo roots do not have the capacity to regenerate, so, we can not propagate bamboo from roots. It is possible only through tissue culture. If you want to propagate your lucky bamboo then you have to use bamboo culms (stem). You can cut stem in small pieces with atleast one node and then plant it in water or in soil.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar

Topics- bamboo propagation, problems related to proliferation rates of bamboo, improvement and management

Past/Present clients
Consultant in two bamboo projects
Ph.D. in Bamboo planting stock improvement. About 20 research papers related to bamboo.