Band Management and Promotions/fees

Question
Kat,
Can you tell me what would be the accepted financial arrangement between an songwriter and an artist, if the artist was using other authors songs?  If, financial gain happened, what percentage should each one receive as a general starting figure?
thank you.

Answer
Hi Leah,

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question without more details. Whether the song will be self-published or if a publisher will be used, whether there is a label involved, etc, weighs heavily on the answer.  The best article I've seen about music royalties is on How Stuff Works. Google that and add Music Royalties to the search. That should get you started. I hope it helps!

Good luck,
Kat

Band Management and Promotions

Kat