Band Management and Promotions/publishing and record deals

Question
Kat,

If an artist was to sign on with a publishing company or a record company, would these companies force the artist to record the songs they chose?  Or could the artist demand to record a song, for example, that their friend wrote?
Thank you.

Answer
Hello Leah,

The answer to this depends entirely on the wording of the contract. Always read the contract thoroughly and hire an attorney, or at least a competent manager, to represent your best interests. Some artists have complete independence to choose what ever songs they wish, while others must do as the record company wishes or gain approval to use a song.

Best of luck,
Kat

Band Management and Promotions

Kat