Banjo/Lessons

Question
Hi Patrick and seasons Greetings.
I have a bit more free time so I thought I would get back into learning to play the 5 string banjo I bought. I was making basic progress but I seem to have lost the book that came along with it 'Earl scruggs and the Five string Banjo'. Nothing I have checked out of the library seems as good-can you reccomend anything?
Also, one of the music stores is offering banjo lessons. My previous experiance with lessons (guitar) a roomfull of learners learning new pages to an instruction book. What should I expect? He wants $20 for each 30 minute lesson-seems kind of pricey. Maybe if he was Earl Srruiggs...
Thank for any thoughts!

Answer
Greetings Barry, and thanks for your question.  There are lots of good instruction books out there; the Earl book is probably the most standard, and certainly the most referenced in bluegrass.  Replace it when you can (it was recently re-vamped, with a lot of errors corrected from the original edition).  Besides the Earl book, some good ones are Pete Wernick's Bluegrass Banjo , Ross Nickerson's Banjo Encyclopedia , and Janet Davis' You Can Teach Yourself Bluegrass Banjo .  A pretty thorough, if pricey, one is Tony Trischka's Complete 5-String Banjo Player ; I also like the intro books by Eddie Collins (go to his website: www.eddiecollins.biz).  And a terrific free source is Banjo Hangout - check out the forums there.

I certainly recommend either one-on-one or group lessons in conjunction with whatever self-instruction you can obtain; I'm unclear as to the format of the banjo lessons you are considering.  Are they one-on-one, or group?  Twenty dollars for thirty minutes is not bad for private lessons; it's probably about average.  You do need to be careful, though, with banjo instructors - teaching from a book might actually be okay right at the beginning, but if that's all they know to do, find someone else!  You need an instructor right there to let you know if your mechanics are right, and to encourage and guide you along, which a book can't do.  Also, too many instructors just teach the wrong way, which will be showing you how to read tablature, then proceeding to give you a "tab of the week" and having you learn song after song by rote, which is a terrible way to learn if you ever want to play with other people (which is really the only reason to play an instrument like this).  Pete Wernick is good on learning the right way, making sure you start with basic mechanics, then keeping rhythm, learning simple chord progressions, picking out melodies by ear, and eventually being able to create your own lead parts "on the fly" - sounds hard, maybe, but only if you started by learning only by other people's arrangements, like I did.  Go to his site for more on this - DrBanjo.com.  The idea is to be able to play along to songs you don't know, which comes in real handy at a jam.

I hope this gives you a few good pointers I wish I'd received when I started.  Good luck!

Banjo

Patrick Dunn