Bankruptcy Law/Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney Dislikes Short Sales

Question
I received my Chap 7 discharge this year and included my property in the Chap 7.   Now I need to move out and find a smaller place to live in. Assuming the lender allows me to do a short sale, am I required to provide the buyer with a Real Estate  Property Disclosure Statement?  

If I  recall correctly,  if the property was in bankruptcy,  I am not required to provide the  property disclosure statement.

Answer
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer  

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5euh54vh66iOzk9rmO5rg?feature=results_main
http://www.youtube.com  
As a Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney, I get short sale questions frequently from my own clients. Even though you had a bankruptcy discharge, you are still required to provide the buyer with a Real Estate Property Disclosure Statement.

Here's why. A short sale is still an ordinary voluntary sale. You yourself are the seller. It is not a foreclosure sale. It is not a sale of assets by the bankruptcy trustee. It is a normal, ordinary sale between you and a buyer.

The public policy behind the requirement for a Real Estate Property Disclosure Statement is to protect the buyer. It has nothing to do with the status between you and the lender. Your bankruptcy discharged your personal liability to the lender. However your bankruptcy discharge does not protect you from potential future liability to a buyer. The buyer in some future sales transaction was not a party to your bankruptcy case.

However, I do understand why you asked the question. You must have read somewhere that a bankruptcy trustee does not provide a Real Estate Property Disclosure Statement. That is because a sale by the bankruptcy trustee is not a voluntary sale. Likewise, no such statement is required for conducting a foreclosure sale.

In this matter, you are a private seller. You are not a bankruptcy trustee. After your bankruptcy case was closed, the property reverted back to you because it was legally abandoned by the bankruptcy estate.

I generally advise my own clients not to do a short sale after they have filed bankruptcy. (There are occasional exceptions and each case must be looked at separately.)

A typical short sale gives the seller nothing in terms of money. However, you still have the potential liability to the buyer for undisclosed defects. Your real estate agent gets a payday when escrow closes. What are you going to get?

If my clients don't get a payday when escrow closes, I don't want to see them on the hook for potential liability to the buyer. Why accept liability when you are not being compensated for the risk? Obviously there is no single right or wrong answer about whether or not to do a short sale. Each situation should be examined separately on it's own merits. What I'm saying is that generally, I do not like short sales.

Disclosure, or non disclosure is a very big deal. Big enough that a law was passed requiring a Real Estate Property Disclosure Statement in California.

People who do a short sale are usually people who have had financial problems. People with financial problems usually don't maintain their property very well because they don't have the money to do it. Property that has been neglected is prone to have problems. Sometimes the problems are obvious and easy to disclose, sometimes not. Perhaps there are hidden defects that date from before you yourself bought the property that were never disclosed to you?

Buyers frequently make renovations and remodel. That's when undisclosed defects often come to light, as when a wall or a ceiling or floor gets opened up. Serious defects get exposed to the light of day. If a problem existed but was not disclosed, (even though you know that you didn't know about it), the buyer might still claim you must have known about it and you fraudulently failed to disclose it. If it is an expensive problem, the buyer might rather have you to blame than have to pay for it themselves. If unresolved, then it may become an expensive court fight. Why do you want the possible liability of waking up one day to such a headache?

(Leon Bayer is a Los Angeles bankruptcy lawyer with 33 years of expertise in handling bankruptcy cases. His bankruptcy law firm in Los Angeles, California, is Bayer, Wishman and Leotta also publishes Link text so that clients and friends of our firm get quick access to our decades of bankruptcy experience. Also see us at: Link text and Link text. You can also watch our videos on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD5euh54vh66iOzk9rmO5rg?feature=results_main)  

Bankruptcy Law

Los Angeles Bankruptcy Lawyer Leon D. Bayer