Bankruptcy Law/Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney Advice on BANKRUPTCY FILING

Question
Dear Mr. Bayer:

We live in Marin County, California, considering filing a bankruptcy.  I have taken on line Chapter 7 Means Test at http://www.legalconsumer.com/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-means-test.php.
At line 53, it concludes:  "You Pass the Means Test.  Because the amount on Line 51 is less than the amount on Line 54, the presumption of abuse does not arise. You can file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy." So, according to this, we have a choice between chapter 7 and 13 to file. I understand that in chapter 13, a second loan secured to the home can be reduced in the repayment plan.

Our house has a loan total about $500k+ now. Zillow estimate is $412k; County's market value is $230k-they are required by law to set tax base based on its appraiser's market values. So, we can keep the house.

Q1. When the loan was modified, the lender put aside $99k as no interest bearing and I am paying interest for the rest $400k+. The $99k is due when we sell the house or at the end of the term and is listed in the statements as "Second Mortgage". Does this mean that if we choose to file Chapter 13, we can reduce this amount in a repayment plan?

Q2. Also, I had an equity loan (about $20k)from Chase secured to the house. It was originally created to finance the house purchase. But I do not see it anymore in Experian's credit report. Does that mean the bank wrote it off? So, I do not have to worry about listing it in our bankruptcy filing?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer
Dear Makoto,

There are a number of issues which need to be covered in addition to your two specific questions.

First, maybe you do pass the means test, but maybe you don't. I have no way of knowing if you did it correctly. The means test can be very tricky to do correctly, especially if you have above median income. I hope you are right.

You are incorrect as to your assumptions regarding the value of your home. There is no law requiring the court or anyone else to accept the county tax appraisers assessment as proof of real property value, (except the assessor for tax assessment purposes).

For example, let's say your home was fully paid for and you have decided to sell. Would you be asking for the amount established by the County Assessor, or would you asking for something in the range that Zillow came up with? As you can see, nobody other than the assessor gives a rip what the assessor says it's worth.

Chapter 13 may allow you to treat the claim of a junior mortgage as "unsecured" and treat it for payment the same as what you provide for all other unsecured claims in your Chapter 13 plan. Upon successful completion of your case and receipt of a Chapter 13 discharge you may then complete the removal of a junior mortgage from your property.

To make this happen, you must prove in court that any senior mortgages which will stay have a current balance due which GREATER than the current market value of the property. Let's use an illustration:

Assuming your market value is $412,000, and assuming the 1st mortgage balance is $400,000, and assuming you have a 2nd and a 3rd mortgage, you are going to be able strip only the loan that is in 3rd position. That is because your current market value,(in the hypothetical), is more than what is owed on just the 1st mortgage. That leaves a tiny bit of value for whatever lien is in 2nd position, but none for the lien in the 3rd position. Hence, the 3rd lien is the only one you would have a chance of removing, (in the example).

Doing this in 'real life' should be done using a written appraisal prepared by a licensed appraisor. Hopefully the appraisal would come in below $400,000, and then you would have a shot at getting rid of both the 2nd and the 3rd.

Finally, a credit report is not the final 'say so' on anything. The absense of your Chase loan from the report does not have any legal significance.

Bankruptcy, especially Chapter 13, is not a 'do it yourselfer.' I hope you will retain a Certified Bankruptcy Specialist before you go any further. In Los Angeles where I practice, a recent court study shows a Plan approval rate that is less than 1% for all Chapter 13 filer's who don't have an attorney.

---------------------------------------------

Bayer, Wishman & Leotta are Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorneys. Each lawyer in the firm is a Los Angeles Bankruptcy lawyer and is a Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy Law by the State Bar of California. The firm has successfully represented individuals and small business clients in Los Angeles bankruptcy proceedings for over 32 years.

Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney Leon Bayer and his partner, Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney Jeff Wishman, are  Bankruptcy experts who bring experience, skill and creativity to the highly complex area of bankruptcy law. And not just a little experience. Between the two Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney partners, they have over 65 years of experience handling bankruptcy cases in Los Angeles, Long Beach, Woodland Hills, North Hollywood, Riverside, Santa Ana, and the entire Los Angeles basin.

As a long-standing expert, Leon is frequently called upon by the media, the California Bar and other associations to give opinions, provide insight and help educate new attorneys on bankruptcy and its changing laws. This column is one more way that Leon Bayer shares his knowlege and expertise in the confusing world of bankruptcy law with the public and provides resources of free bankruptcy help for individuals struggling with debt problems.

If you or other readers want to keep up with my Los Angeles Bankruptcy Attorney blog postings about life in and out of bankruptcy, you can follow my blog at http://www.bankruptcyblogger.org/,  my professional web site at http://www.debt-relief-bankruptcy.com, and A Human Guide to Bankruptcy at http://www.thebankruptcyguide.net/.  

Bankruptcy Law

Los Angeles Bankruptcy Lawyer Leon D. Bayer