Bankruptcy Law/Bankruptcy and Filing Suit...

Over the last 15 years I and hundreds of other people in WI and FL were taken advantage of by this one fellow. In January he was convicted of 50 counts of mail fraud and is currently awaiting sentencing. At the same time the FBI first charged him with fraud last April he filed bankruptcy listing himself and what appears to be all 230 aliases and entities he controlled or used over the last 15 years. I don't believe he has listed all the hundreds of people he has harmed - I know I didn't receive any notice. What's suspicious is he declared 4.5 million in personal assets, money he milked from all these people, and 5 million in cash that the trustees discovered. He has these assets and yet he's filing only listing 300 thousand in debts. It's my guess he's trying to prevent anyone prepetition from suing him. My question is, can a person still sue him for fraud that occurred prepetition after his bankruptcy is discharged?

Larry:    The short answer is no, but there are some exceptions to that rule.    AS to fraud specifically, the general rule is that you would have to file an adversary complaint (a lawsuit within the bankruptcy) before the final date that was set for objections  - and if he was already discharged, then that day may have already passed -   but as stated, there are exceptions to the rule.    You haven't given me enough facts to say for sure whether you have a way to go after him for fraud or not.    If you wish, you can call me whenever you would like to call and I will not charge you just to talk on the phone.    You can call me at this number:   915  261-3893     WE can then discuss further any options you might (or might not) presently have.    I look forward to hearing from you.  

Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Services

Can answer questions about bankruptcy, lawsuits or judgments that have been filed against you. Also can answer questions about tax issues, property that is facing foreclosure, repossession of vehicles, and wage garnishments. 915 261-3893

Over 30 years experience assisting consumers with lawsuits and bankruptcy matters since graduating from law school.

Numerous published appellate court opinions; Law review publications; Article on consumer bankruptcy in Black Enterprise magazine; was requested to author a book on consumer bankruptcy by Doubleday Publishers

Over twenty years of education including law degree (J.D.); masters and bachelors degrees in political science; author of magazine articles related to consumer bankruptcy; hundreds of hours of continuing education legal education and seminars

Have had well over a thousand bankruptcy clients during the past 30 years and have had many clients in civil lawsuits during the same time period