Bankruptcy Law/motorcycle payment

Question
Hello, when I filed BK ch 7 I tried to reaffirm my motorcycle because my grandmother is the primary on the loan. The judge denied the reaffirmation. He said it would protect me. That being said I am struggling to make the payments and was considering turning it in. My question is since it wasn't reaffirmed, will this repo effect my grandmas credit? It is already filed in my BK. Please advise. Thank you for your time! Sincerely, Jeremy

Answer
I'm not sure of the effect of a repo on her credit, but I can tell you that the lender will be pursuing your grandmother for any deficiency balance owing after they sell for chump change at the auction and apply to your balance.  Your bankruptcy wouldn't in all likelihood show on her bankruptcy but if they've tied her credit to your loan on the credit reporting (and unless she pulls a report on herself you'd never know that), then she'll be affected by a repo.

Legally they can pursue her;  your chapter 7 bankruptcy doesn't stop that, unfortunately.

I hope that helps.

Lee Horner  

Bankruptcy Law

LEE HORNER, ESQ.