Bankruptcy Law/Bankruptcy and Lease Assumption

Question
Hello Lee,

I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy recently and have a leased car through Toyota. The meeting of the creditors is in a few weeks.

Toyota sent my lawyer a notice about a Lease Assumption Agreement and sent me a copy.  I asked my lawyer about it and he said that he doesn't recommend that I sign a Lease Assumption Agreement because it makes me responsible for the payments even though my responsibility with Toyota has been erased by the bankruptcy, and says, that if I continue to make the payments voluntarily they will not repossess the car (but not guaranteed).

So my question is if I don't sign the Lease Assumption Agreement, will Toyota repossess my car? I live in New Jersey and I still have 2 1/2 years left on the lease. I have made all my payments on time, but am wondering if Toyota can/will repossess my car.  I don't have a 2nd car nor the funds right now to buy a used car.

What do you suggest I do?  

Gavin

Answer
I personally do not like car leases;  many have huge mileage penalties and "damages" that are assessed for dog hair and dirty floor mats, for example;  of course I don't know what kind of lease you have -- if it's closed end with no mileage calculations in the mix that's one thing;  but if it's got penalties for mileage and you expect to be in the penalty range, think about it.

I can't say for sure what they'll do if you just keep paying.  So far as I have heard it is only Ford Motor Credit that, nationwide, repossesses vehicles that are not reaffirmed even with current payments.  What I've heard is other lenders will just cooperate with you and let you keep the car as long as you pay for it.  I have not heard of Toyota Motor Credit repossessing up to date vehicles, but no one can guarantee that won't happen.

Because I don't like leases, I would go along with your attorney, not sign anything, and keep paying to keep the car.  You'll have to get something in 2 yrs anyway and by then you'll have 2 yrs of post-bankruptcy payments showing on your credit.

While you're at it, you might want to get a secured visa/master card as long as there are minimal to no fees involved;  Wells Fargo Bank if you have them back there has a $19/yr secured credit card (NOT a debit card) program; and I've learned that many credit unions do as well.  That will also help you re-establish.  The cash you deposit is the collateral for the card and they typically pay 0% on the deposit.

Good luck.

Lee Horner

Bankruptcy Law

LEE HORNER, ESQ.