Bankruptcy Law/Chap 7

Question
We are in California. I had my debts discharged in Chap 7 last May.  In the "Statement of Intention"  section,  I told my attorney to mark that I was keeping my main house loan.  

But at the same time he marked "retain", he also marked "reaffirm" on the Statement of Intention.  I told him that I had heard from the grapevines, to never  "reaffirm" a loan. But he said I had to do it.

I had my chap 7 discharged last year.  I told my attorney that I was retaining the property, and he marked retained on the "Statement of Intention"..  But at the same time he indicated "affirm"  for the loan.  I told him that affirm is wrong, as I had heard from people to never affirm the loan in bankruptcy.
He said that I need not worry, as I would have no personal liability for the loan . Only thing the bank can do is use the lien to take the property, if I fall to far behind in payments.

Finally,  I told him that I would not  sign the  actual Bank Reaffirmation agreement for the loan,-if he ever got got it from the bank .  Well, God is Great because The Bank's reaffirmation was never came to him, so I never signed it.  Is it true I am not personally responsible for the loan?

By not signing the actual reaffirmation agreement for the loan,  is it true that I have no personal liability?

After all, I believe the purpose of bankruptcy is discharge my debts, and to get a fresh start.

Answer
In California you likely have no liability for the debt to begin with;  signing a reaffirmation "just because" on real estate is never a good idea unless you get something substantial (principal or interest rate reductions maybe?);  this is really a non-issue as the bank can't do anything to you personally now and probably couldn't before either;  I'm assuming this is a first mortgage;  if it's a second all the more reason not to reaffirm as your personal liability on that would be discharged and reaffirming would revive your liability if the first foreclosed the second.

I'm not sure why you were told you had to reaffirm the real estate debt but I respectfully disagree with that advice.  We check "retain" and "other--continue to make payments" in our r.e. statements of intention in CA and AZ and have never had a problem.  Good luck!

Lee Horner

Bankruptcy Law

LEE HORNER, ESQ.