Bankruptcy Law/assets value in ch 11 to ch 7 post conversion

Question
QUESTION: My case was converted by court (no fraud) from ch 11 to 7. When we filled ch 11, we valued our primary residence at 1.1m but owed over 1.2 so no equity. 18 months later, a creditor requested ch 7 trustee to investigate the current house value. The trustee valued the house by his broker at 1.4m. Trustee had to kick the lien of the creditor out, then made an agreement with the debtors (us) to buy the house for $37k after using our homestead of 100k. The same creditor objected to the agreement. A hearing to resolve the objection was held 22 months after the conversion date and three years after the filling of ch 11. The real estate market has gone up . The creditor appraised the house at 1.63m. The court  will consider this appraisal coming July 11, 2013. Court also requested trustee to update his 22 months old appraisal. The
Trustee is not happy because he dislike the creditor for being unethical delaying the case and very aggressive but may have to comply. We feel that the court is unfair! Shouldn't the appreciation of the house value belong to the debtors who kept paying the expensive mortgage. We learned that code 348f support our position but it was written for ch 13 to 7 conversion. Would it apply to ch 11 conversion?

Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer  
ANSWER: Dear Wally,

I know these things are aggrivating and stressful for you.

The law is clear. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has consistantly ruled that appreciation of house value belongs to the bankruptcy estate. Even when the administration of a case drags on for years after the case was filed. Any special benefits granted to debtors who convert from Chapter 7 to Chapter 13 do not apply in a conversion from Chapter 11.

Although you have paid the mortgage, I assume that you have been living in the house. If so, what you have paid for the mortgage would probobly be viewed as your payment of rent for the occupancy of the property, as well as your own business decision to protect the value of your own homestead exemption.

The good news for you is that most courts give substantial weight to upholding the business decisions made by a bankruptcy trustee.

Assuming the trustee can support the reasonableness of the decision to sell you the house, I expect the court to rule in favor of the trustee. You can help the trustee by providing evidence. Look for ways to attack the creditor's appraisal. Are the creditor's comps relevant to your home? Are there unique factors affecting your home that would make your home worth less than the comps indicate? For instance, perhaps your home needs expensive repairs that the other appraisor has not taken into account? The cost of such repairs should be deducted from the base value.

The court might even determine that the value of the house is somewhere in between what the creditor says and what the trustee says. If so, be prepared to pay that difference if you want to keep the property.   

I certainly hope you have an attorney who is actively representing you in this matter.

For all my general interest readers: We now have Los Angeles Bankruptcy Lawyer videos on Youtube, explaining the law and Bankruptcy FAQ's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOIHNGgy-o&feature=plcp,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5Aa2UrOyA&feature=plcp,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_OEEP3Fuw&feature=plcp,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igyc2Hs2WLw&feature=plcp,  and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_x5qzUEYQ&feature=plcp.

My blog postings are full of great Los Angeles bankruptcy expert advice. You can follow my blog at http://www.bankruptcyblogger.org/,  my professional web site at http://www.debt-relief-bankruptcy.com, and A Human Guide to Bankruptcy at http://www.thebankruptcyguide.net/.

QUESTION: Mr. Bayer,

Thank you. The critical factor is in the conversion.
I agree with circuit court if this was a straight ch 7.
Isn't ch 13 and ch 11similar in this case?
Some online articles i read said that, although 348f
Explicitly was not mentioned in case of 11 but
It does apply in this case!
Appreciate the follow up.

Answer
In my view, Section 348f can not apply for many reasons.

The section itself is explicitly applicable only to Chapter 13. Congress did not give it any broader effect that I am aware of. Congress could have, but didn't.

I am not aware of any case law extending the applicability to any other kind of bankruptcy case, but I have not done the research. That would be for you and your lawyer to do. I don't think you would find any reported case, but that is up to you to look for them.

If someone else says 348f does apply, then ask them why they they say that.  

Secondly, Chapter 13 is unique from other cases due to the definition of property of the estate that governs all the other chapters. Particularly, Chapter 13 is the only case in which property that the debtor acquires after the commencement of the case normally becomes property of the estate.

In the other chapters, property of the estate normally consists of what the debtor owns on the date the case is commenced. For example, take earnings, (earned wages). Post petition earnings are not property of the estate in 7's and 11's. But post petition earnings are property of the estate in a 13. That is part of the logic behind 348f, because other chapters ordinarily do not include the aquisition of post petition property as property of the estate.

Thus, 348f exists only to put the converted 13 case on the same footing as cases commenced under the other chapters.

Even if 348f did apply to the conversion from 11 to 7, it still doesn't help you.

That is because, (I am assuming) the court has not made any prior ruling to determine the value of the property? 348f concerns rulings where the court has previously made a valuation ruling. Maybe there was a ruling if the trustee brought an action to avoid a lien? But such a ruling can't bind the angry creditor unless they were a party to the lien avoidance proceeding.

Even if the court had previously made a valuation ruling, such a ruling is limited to the purpose for which it was given. I don't see how it could control what is happining now.  

For example, think of shares of stock.

Are you really telling me that that shares of stock owned by a debtor worth $20,000 on the date of filing and properly exempted for that amount, can not be sold later by the trustee for $30,000 after the market has gone up?

It's the same thing with real estate. Your homestead does not exempt "the house." It only exempts a certain dollar amount of your equity in the house. The exemption does not stop the estate from enjoying the benefit of a post petition change in market value.

But, let's take your argument at face value. Suppose the market value of the house is now less than it was at the time you filed, and that a non exempt amount of equity which had existed is now wiped out and the property is now under water.

By your logic, you would owe the estate for the money it lost post petition when the value dropped. You can't be entitled to keep the gain without corresponding liability for the drop.

You would then have to agree that a trustee can sue you to recover the drop in market value. Of course, that isn't the law. But it would be, by extension of your logic to that kind of a situation.  

Bankruptcy Law

Los Angeles Bankruptcy Lawyer Leon D. Bayer