Bankruptcy Law/Lawsuit during bankruptcy

Question
My husband operates a small business and filed chapter 13 four years ago in Alabama when the economy went South.  He had a line of credit loan for about $20,000 at a local bank. (Before the bankruptcy filing, he asked the bank for a loan, with collateral, to cover the line of credit and pay off some credit cards. In spite of a long history with the bank and excellent credit, they denied the loan.) They have been receiving distributions from the bankruptcy court - 28% of the total payment - but have just been granted a judgment also.  My husband's business has also made irregular payments to the bank in response to their threat of suing. Question:  Can the bank legally sue while receiving distributions? (He has also been diagnosed with Alzheimer's which they are aware of. I have POA because he is not really able to conduct business now.) (He did have an attorney/friend handling this but he died suddenly, so he has no legal representation.)

Answer
Brenda -- you need to get legal advice pronto;  you can find a good consumer bankruptcy lawyer on the nacba.org website (bankruptcy debtor attorney trade assn);  here's what's out of whack:

1) when your husband filed, the automatic stay kicked in and stopped all lawsuits and attempts to collect debts;  2) when his 13 plan was confirmed, the stay was no longer in effect BUT the confirmed plan bound all creditors including the bank;  3) as a result they had no business getting paid over and above what the ch 13 trustee paid them and 4) if they were just granted a judgment in state court as I read your message, and your 13 is still active, that judgment is void.  No they cannot legally sue after a 13 is filed and after the plan has been confirmed.

A good bankruptcy attorney can fix all this and that bank is in major league trouble it seems like to me.

With his POA you can handle, with the attorney, whatever is necessary to fix.  Let me know how it turns out!

Lee

Bankruptcy Law

LEE HORNER, ESQ.