Bankruptcy Law/My question to you 6/12

Question
In reference to my question to you of 6/12 - I misspoke.  I apologize.  The Bank was not granted a judgment, rather a hearing to appoint an attorney because he cannot afford one.  I spoke with a Bank rep and was told this:  The Bank can receive distributions from the Bkrptcy Ct and pursue him individually also because the loan was in his Business' name and the Business is an S Corp - which cannot file Bkrptcy; however the Bank attorneys will seek a judgment against the Business after the Bkrptcy term is up. To further cloud the issue, the Bank rep says the Bank would like to set up payments after the Bkrptcy term is up to collect the remaining balance. Bank rep said they could pursue him both ways.  Is this true?

Answer
Not quite true.  The bank is prevented from pursuing your husband so long as the 13 is in effect;  if the plan has not yet been confirmed, it should be confirmed with "property NOT TO REVEST IN THE DEBTOR UNTIL DISCHARGE" to keep the stay going as to his income.

Now, once the 13 discharge is entered down the road, your husband's guarantee of the corporate debt will be discharged;  it does NOT make the debt go away as to the corportion, that's true;  but it DOES get your husband off the hook.  I still recommend getting local legal advice on this;  the bank is clearly not on your side and is stretching the truth to the breaking point.

I'm assuming he did guarantee the corp. debt as that's usually how it works, and would be the basis for the creditor's claim in the 13.  Was the claim filed timely?  If not, an objection could be made so they don't get dime one from your 13 and the debt is still discharged at the end as to your husband.

Lee

Bankruptcy Law

LEE HORNER, ESQ.