Bankruptcy Law/Timing - seems like my attorney is taking too long

Question
QUESTION: What is the typical timing of a bankruptcy chapter 13 case?  We met with our attorney and provided all paperwork to file our chapter 13 case 4 weeks ago today.  We paid the filing fee that day.  It has been 4 weeks, and when I called to see when our 341 was scheduled (it should be 30 days from filing), they said my case hadn't been filed yet (it's been 4 weeks).

Is this normal?  They said it was.

What is a reasonable length of time for my attorney to file my case *after* they have all the paperwork and payment?

ANSWER: I'm not sure what "has all the paperwork" means;  if you dropped off a filled out questionnaire which is what we have clients do, listing all your assets, liabilities, income, expenses etc;  that is a source document from which the actual court papers are prepared.

The attorney has to prepare the documents for filing based on what you've given them.

Nothing happens until these court documents are prepared and ready for signature; and you have reviewed each page of these documents and signed in multiple places.  Also, you have to sign a Chapter 13 plan which says how you propose to pay everyone and how much.

My guess is they haven't gotten around to preparing the court documents and plan for your signature.

Now if I'm wrong, and you signed atty-prepared documents for immediate filing with the court, then I have no idea why a delay.

In any event, this long a delay in getting the paperwork ready for you to sign seems odd;  I'd call them up and see what day this week you can  come in and sign so it can get filed.  If you get smoke as a response, switch to another attorney and get your filing fee back.

Lee

QUESTION: Thank you, Lee.  We signed attorney-prepared documents and chap 13 plan, and paid the filing fee four weeks ago and still it hadn't been filed as of yesterday.

Thank you for your response; Now that I know this isn't reasonable I can figure out what I want to do next.

Answer
That then is 100% unreasonable and inexcusable if you weren't advised of a reason for a delay -- sometimes we delay filing because of a preferential payment made in the last 90 days to a creditor we want them to keep -- I don't know about your situation, but that is ALWAYS discussed fully with the clients who might have to sign "today" for scheduling purposes with the full and complete understanding WHY the delay.  If you have had no such discussions with the attorney, advise him or her that you need an explanation,  now;  and if you don't get one (i.e they're in conference, too busy, etc) by the close of business TODAY, then your next call will be to the bar association -- will that be necessary?

I would hope this is just some sort of clerical mix up;  in most jurisdictions nationwide attys are required to e-file the schedules once signed;  so I really don't get this.

Let me know what you find out.

Good luck.

Lee

Bankruptcy Law

LEE HORNER, ESQ.