Bankruptcy Law/spousal waiver

Question
If a Chapter 7 is filed while you are separated but you don't submit a spousal waiver, can you file one after the petition has been filed?

Answer
Hello Melanie:  Are you sure you have your terminology right when you say "spousal waiver"?   That phrase comes up all of the time in divorce cases, but in bankruptcy, not so much.   Are you under the impression that a husband or a wife cannot file for bankruptcy by themselves unless they get a waiver from their spouse before they file?    If so, then that is a mistaken assumption.   If a couple is married, either one or both can file for bankruptcy protection, irrespective of whether the other spouse agrees or not.    

I am not entirely sure if I am understanding your question so I am having to guess at what you might be asking.   Perhaps I misunderstood your question.      

This would probably be easier talking about on the phone anyway.   You can call me anytime you wish at this number and I will not charge you just to talk on the phone - and can answer any questions you might have about this.    I look forward to hearing from you.

Jack Hall,   J.D.
Bankruptcy Services
915  261-3893

Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Services