Bankruptcy Law/Private Student Loans

Question
I have tried to negotiate with the collection agency on lowering my payments but they would not budge. I'm now sending them payments but not the amount they requested. If I were to send $600 a month I would be in economic hardship. I want to know will they send me a letter stating that my wages will be garnish or will they go ahead and do it without notifying me in a formal document? Also, will they still take me to court because I'm not making the payments that they requested?

Answer
They cannot garnish you without getting a judgment.  If they have a judgment, they can garnish and do not need to send you a formal documents before acting.  The loan is not easily discharged in bankruptcy, unfortunately.  I suspect that if you send them payments they will not sue although I could not guarantee that.  Sorry.

Bankruptcy Law

Michael T. Hertz