Bankruptcy Law/Homestead Exemption

Question
Hi. I live in Florida. I am definately having to file bankruptcy.  I am entitled to a homestead exemption that is something I will need. In Florida, we are allowed $1000 in personal assets, not including the homestead. My quesiton is this:  are my major appliances (refrigerator, stove, dishwasher,  washer/dryer) considered part of the homestead or simply personal assets?  OUtside of these, I hav enothing of any real value.  I purchased these appliances (nice, stainless steel, GE). that was a little more than 3 years ago, way before I thought I would have to declare bankruptcy. I would hate to lose these, I can't afford to replace with even crappy ones at this point! If this is a real risk, I may need to file Ch 13.

Answer
Hello Pamela:    If you like, I can help you with this to make sure that you get to keep everything.   Perhaps you are not understanding how the exemption system works, or more specifically, how the issue you are going to have to deal with is the type of loans you have.    Depending on facts you do not state in your question, and depending on how you financed those appliances, the issue is going to be more focused on the status and type of those loans and the present value of the property involved.    Chapter 13 may be an option, but it may not be necessary and that would save you a substantial amount of money.    

You are welcome to call me whenever you wish, and I will not charge you just to talk on the phone.    I can then explain to you in detail what you will (or will not) have to do to keep everything.

If you wanted me to help you with the bankruptcy itself, I would charge you 250 if you filed a chapter 7, or 350 if you, for whatever reason, chose to file a chapter 13.     Depending on your financial circumstances, you can probably get a waiver of the filing fees (which would save you $306).    

You can call me at this number directly anytime.    915  261-3893

Jack Hall, J.D.

Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Services