Bankruptcy Law/chapter 7

How do I know whether I will lose my house or not if I file for chapter 7?

It depends on the likely value of the house.  Take the value of the house and subtract what is owing on it.  Subtract the amount of the homestead  you are allowed under state.  Subtract the likely selling costs for the house (about 6% of the total likely house value.  If these subtractions reduce what the trustee would bet to zero or less or an amount that the trustee would find worthless, the house wouldn't be worth selling.

Bankruptcy Law

Michael T. Hertz

I am already listed as a volunteer under "Collections Law," but actually I am a bankruptcy lawyer. I am a member of bar in California and in Massachusetts and have practiced in bankruptcy since 1978 and have also taught bankruptcy law at the law school level (in Maine and Oregon). I can answers questions with respect to all bankruptcy chapters, having represented creditors, debtors, trustees, creditors committees, and persons involved in defending actions in bankruptcy court.

See above. Basically, 33 years of experience.

inactive member of State Bar of California; inactive member of bar in Massachusetts; former member of bar in Maine; former conseil juridique in France.

California Bankruptcy Law Review; Georgetown Law Journal; numerous others. See my resume.

Harvard Law School, J.D.; Pomona College, B.A.

Superlawyer in Northern California, 2005 and 2006