Bankruptcy Law/chapter 7

Question
How do I know whether I will lose my house or not if I file for chapter 7?

Answer
It depends on the likely value of the house.  Take the value of the house and subtract what is owing on it.  Subtract the amount of the homestead  you are allowed under state.  Subtract the likely selling costs for the house (about 6% of the total likely house value.  If these subtractions reduce what the trustee would bet to zero or less or an amount that the trustee would find worthless, the house wouldn't be worth selling.

Bankruptcy Law

Michael T. Hertz