Baptists/Differences with Lutheran -Missouri Synod

Rob Bourassa wrote at 2010-03-07 23:00:33
This is the furthest thing from the truth. In the LCMS, the Bible is seen as the Living Word of God, and is God breathed, and without error.

No where in Scripture does Christ say that His body and blood are "symbols." The Southern Baptists come to this conclusion due to their dependence upon reason over the Word of God.

As for Baptism, in the second chapter of Acts, Peter says, "Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the Holy Ghost. And this promise is for you, and your children, and for those far off; For all whom our Lord shall call."

Most importantly, we in the LCMS believe as Christ said to the apostles, that we did not chose Him, but He chose us. Also, Jesus said, "No man cometh unto me lest the Father draweth him nigh."

The belief that we make our decision for Christ is unscriptural. It is found nowhere in the Bible, but the opposite is said. Read the books of Romans and Ephesians.

If one deny's this fact, they also have to deny the fact that the Lord promised us Baptism for our children, just as He gave the Jews the promise of circumcision for their children at 8 days.

The Apostles gave a formula for infant baptism in their teachings, and the graves of many infants in the first century had seashells on their tombs, signifying baptism, by pouring the water over their heads.

The power in Baptism isn't in the water, it is in the Living Word of God. Jesus gave us these words, and when we baptize in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost, we are given forgiveness of sins, and the Holy Ghost according to Scripture.

So, the only criticism to be laid to the LCMS, is that they take the Word of God too literally. Our seminaries are the only seminaries in the world that still teach literal 6 day creation as well.

As for the boring service, to each his own. Many LCMS congregations have a liturgical service, instead of an entertaining rock band, but the liturgy isn't man made. It consists of nothing but the Word of God. If you are bored with the Word of God, it shouldn't surprise you. It's the sinful human condition.

And yes, we are all deserving of hell, and would be lost if not for the grace of God, and the precious blood of our Lord Jesus Christ who died for us. Most LCMS churches get a bad rap for preaching the Law and the Gospel, but, you wouldn't know how wonderful God's grace is, unless you saw how bad your sin was.

Diane wrote at 2010-11-04 18:51:31
What a terribly inaccurate answer to this lady's questions!  It sounds like you have never discussed the differences between your doctrine and LCMS doctrine with someone who understands the differences.  Sad sad sad.  I am a LCMS member and would like to educate you on a few things about us!

Respectfully and in His love,

Diane

Linda wrote at 2011-01-15 17:39:54
Please get another source for your question as this person is MISQUOTING LCMS.  We do believe that God's Word is Inerrant and Free of all error.  We do believe in infant baptism and it is in the bible, not when you take it out of context.  I suggest you look at Psalms 51:5, Matthew 28, Luke 1, Acts 2, Acts 16 and Colossians 2.  All those chapters will help you understand why we baptize our infants.  Also, communion is for all who believe that The body and Blood of Jesus are present.  I could continue to disprove this professors thoughts, but I would suggest you look at www.lcms.org for more accurate information.  You do not have to be LCMS to receive communion.  These statements are all false!  Please do more research before jumping to any conclusions and Dr. Howe YOU NEED TO RESEARCH before you type false statements, I would have expected more from a Professor of Theology.

Erik Whiting wrote at 2011-09-13 17:34:17
As with previous responders, I affirm that the LCSM--of which I am a member--does believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God.  Furthermore, while there was obviously a bad experience from the original person asking the question--my experience in 35 years as an LCMS member is that the church does not attempt to force, coerce, entice or manipulate anyone into attending church, joining church membership, or believing what we believe.  As with all organizations, there are some well-meaning members who take things to far and give offense to others unduly.  This is a tragic result of our sinfulness, that sometimes we drive people away from God in our mistaken approach.

I have known many Baptists, but I would never base my understanding of their doctrine on one or a few personal acquaintances, or even the experience I had at several of their churches.  I would study their doctrinal statements on-line or in publications, and them subject them to rigorous examination against the Holy Bible.  I have done the same with my own church's teachings, and to date have found nothing in the Bible that contradicts or compromises them in any way.

Infant Baptism is an area that requires much study.  It is ironic that Baptists sometimes say Lutherans take this out of context, and in response the Lutherans sometimes say likewise of the Baptists.  I would offer it worthwhile anyone's consideration to examine several incidents of Scripture that, taken together and lending support to one another--affirm that infant Baptism is part of God's Will.

First, babies can respond in marvelous ways to God's Word.  The Word became flesh and dwelt among us...the Son of God himself.  When John the Baptist was still in his mother's womb, he leaped for joy when hearing Mary's voice, knowing her to be the one chosen to bear the Savior.  Elizabeth specifically states the baby leaped for joy.  It wasn't just gas, or hiccups: the baby was fully aware of who was near him: God's own Son.  Therefore, if John the Baptist in the womb can respond with joy to God's Word incarnate in Jesus, is it reasonable to believe that a baby can respond to the Word of God?  

There are many other texts suggesting that infants were baptized by the early church, and one can research those as needed.  Several times in the Book of Acts, there is mention of a person coming to faith and having their entire household baptized.  While these incidents do not specifically say children were baptized, neither do they exclude children.  Also, as mentioned above, there are incidents where Jesus specifically calls upon people to bring children to him--little children.  How little?  The Savior doesn't give a specific age, but he sure does love to invite those little ones into his arms.  Would we be faithful to his teaching to exclude them because our human brains can't wrap themselves around a concept like "how can babies know they need Christ?"  Well, for that matter, how can babies know they need food?  It is very simple: the nature of a baby cries out for food.  Likewise, the soul of an infant cries out for Christ.  

I'm not going to assume that anything mentioned above will provide 100% proof-text or logic to convince someone that infant baptism is God's Will, but I hope it does prompt those asking the question to look further, as I have looked.  From time to time I find myself questioning it all over again, and then after going back to the Scriptures and pouring over them, I again find the blessed promises of God that "the promise if for you and your children."

Blessings on your journey to know more of God's Will in your life.

ferrari wrote at 2011-12-16 03:45:04
Whoever wrote this response to this lady question needs to study the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and their beliefs before leading people astray with your obvious lack of biblical knowledge.

elder eddie wrote at 2012-03-15 07:36:28
Wow, what a misconception.  We are created by our Father - we all agree there, don't we?  We were given free thought, which tends to the not nice, right?  And we are given a Paschal Lamb, who taught - the Commandments are summed up in this thought, "Love one another!"  Yes the Sacrament of the Altar, in the LCMS, is reserved for those who accept they do indeed receive the body and blood of the sacrifice.  But, we believe all are saved (from what, I can't tell!!) by the simple fact of confession of faith in the Grace of the Father.  Yes, infant baptism, from the liturgical past of "he who believeth and is baptized shall be saved."  That is not a limiter, but an assurance.  Gusss I'm headed for ex-communication, now - as I am and LCSM elder.

PS: I hope the young couple are doing well, loving one another, their family, and their Father.

Steve wrote at 2012-12-06 14:19:26
This description / comparison of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is grossly inaccurate and unfairly portrays these Christians.  For a more honest and accurate portrayal of Missouri Synod Lutherans, please talk to a Missouri Synod Lutheran.

Baptists

Dr Don Howe