Baptists/Women Deacons and fear

Hope Nardick McCullough wrote at 2009-09-17 01:52:21
The reason that so many churches do not allow women to have prominent roles in the church is from a misunderstood verse. 1 Corinthians 14:34

Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.

The reason that this is so often misunderstood is because no one likes to read it in its context. In that time and culture, some women were being disruptive in the church, and interrupting the sermon to ask questions because they did not understand, as most women in that time were not educated women. That is why it was written that women were not to speak during service. It was not that they are not allowed to teach, but the uneducated ones were causing chaos in service. This section of scripture, 1 Corinthians 14, is about keeping order in the church.

Powerstroke 7.3 wrote at 2013-04-26 00:30:01
Way to feed and give in to the sexist religious Hope. The Bible were authored from primitive male lacking knowledge and understanding of the world they lived.

Where in Bible does it say that is what that Scripture means? A book that can be that loosely interpreted shall be taken for exactly what it is, good story telling and historically what people of that time before any type information age or education could summarize without knowledge.

We have the information now, we should use it instead of making stuff up, its truly unwise.

Baptists

Rev. Robert Woods