Baptists/Crist Crucified

Question
Hello, thank you so much for your time. I would like your thoughts on a question about the cross of christ and salvation. I actually worship at a church of christ.  But I looked on your profile and was really amazed at all your Educational degrees. So I trust you are very learned and very well able to answer my question.  There are two evangelist that said Christ died for our past sins and to make us righteous in the sight of God. But as for our future sins it comes down to us confessing and forsaking them. They believe in sinless perfection. So they say one has to persevere in holiness to be saved. To be saved they say one has to repenent, trust in christ and walk a life of holiness. If you mess up confess and forsake your sins.   I know the big doctrine most people teach is christ died for past present and future sins.  What is your thoughts on this?

Answer
Josh:
    Thank you for your question. Many people wonder how Christ could have died for "future" sins--those that we have not yet committed. It's  important to understand that when Christ died all of our sins were "future". We hadn't committed any sins because we weren't born yet.  And when we come to Christ for salvation we acknowledge that He died for all of our sins and we place all of them under His shed blood on the cross. The manner of dealing with all sin is to confess and forsake it. We must agree with God concerning sin--that is He hates it an will not allow sin in His presence.
    As to the issue of sinless perfection, that is not a scriptural doctrine. 1 John 1 teaches that if a man says he has not sinned he is a liar, and he makes God a liar: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (1 John 1:8-10 KJV).   If it were possible to live a life without sin then we wouldn't have needed a Saviour to atone for us, and the blood of Christ would have been shed in vain.   Jesus said, "...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6 KJV). The only way to Heaven is through Christ, not by our own merits.  If I could get to Heaven by having all my sins confessed and living a holy life, not only would that be relying on my own merits but what if I go to church and make sure that all my sins are confessed then I pull out of the church parking lot and drive to an intersection and roll through a stop sign (which is breaking the law and therefore sinning) and before I confess my lawlessness an 18 wheeler plows into me, killing me instantly.  Am I going to go to hell because I have unconfessed sin in my life?  You may say, "That's a small thing. It wouldn't count against you. "  Really?  Who decides that?  What if I rolled through the stop sign and ran over a kid riding his bike and killed him, then I was killed by the semi?  The fact is, Josh, as Paul said, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost"; (Titus 3:5 KJV).  There's nothing we can do to earn salvation and there's nothing we can do to keep it.
    Hope this helps.  

Baptists

Dr. Billy Kryger