Baptists/The death of Christ

Hello, thank you so much for your time. I would like your thoughts on a question about the cross of christ and salvation. I actually worship at a church of christ.  But I looked on your profile and was really amazed at all your Educational degrees. So I trust you are very learned and very well able to answer my question.  There are two evangelist that said Christ died for our past sins and to make us righteous in the sight of God. But as for our future sins it comes down to us confessing and forsaking them. They believe in sinless perfection. So they say one has to persevere in holiness to be saved. To be saved they say one has to repenent, trust in christ and walk a life of holiness. If you mess up confess and forsake your sins.   I know the big doctrine most people teach is christ died for past present and future sins.  What is your thoughts on this?

Josh, thank you for your question.  You stated “There are two evangelist that said Christ died for our past sins and to make us righteous in the sight of God” and “I know the big doctrine most people teach is christ died for past present and future sins.”  This is correct. Christ died for the dead and the living. Romans 14:9 states this “For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.”

But in Acts 10:42 we are commanded  and are suppose to testify that  Jesus is the judge over the living and dead “And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God [to be] the Judge of quick and dead.”

Acts 10:36 tells us we are to preach this good news “The word which [God] sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:).” This means we need to be preaching and testifying that Christ is the Lord of all including the living and the dead.

Josh, you made reference to such terms as: “confessing and forsaking them," "persevere in holiness,"  and “to be saved they say one has to repenent, trust in christ and walk a life of holiness.”  These terms you have stated is what is none as Sanctification. This is when we live out our Christian walk as it meets the daily road of sin everyday that is our lives. To get an understanding of this term Sanctification, let's see what Easton's Bible Dictionary has to say about sanctification as I believe it will help you understand some things. Easton's states "Sanctification involves more than a mere moral reformation of character, brought about by the power of the truth: it is the work of the Holy Spirit bringing the whole nature more and more under the influences of the new gracious principles implanted in the soul in regeneration. In other words, sanctification is the carrying on to perfection the work begun in regeneration, and it extends to the whole man (Rom 6:13; 2Cr 4:6; Col 3:10; 1Jo 4:7; 1Cr 6:19). It is the special office of the Holy Spirit in the plan of redemption to carry on this work (1Cr 6:11; 2Th 2:13). Faith is instrumental in securing sanctification, inasmuch as it (1) secures union to Christ (Gal 2:20), and (2) brings the believer into living contact with the truth, whereby he is led to yield obedience "to the commands, trembling at the threatenings, and embracing the promises of God for this life and that which is to come." You cna look up the biblical references for yourself.

You states “They believe in sinless perfection.” We can not obtain sinless perfection because we are sinful creatures and that is why Jesus died for us. Easton’s address this also as perfect sanctification and states “Perfect sanctification is not attainable in this life (1Ki 8:46; Pro 20:9; Ecc 7:20; Jam 3:2; 1Jo 1:8). See Paul's account of himself in Rom 7:14-25; Phl 3:12-14; and 1 Tim. 1:15; also the confessions of David (Psa 19:12,13; 51), of Moses (90:8), of Job (Job 42:5,6), and of Daniel (Dan 9:3-20)." Sinless perfection will obtained when we get to Heaven.

Paul tells us what sanctifying Christian walk is not easy. He states in Romans 5:3-5 "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Paul is saying that we exult or glory in our tribulations. Tribulations here means all the problems, sufferings, afflictions, etc that comes against us will bring about perseverance. Perservances produces proven character, proven character produces hope, and hope never disappoints because the love God is poured out by Holy Spirit.
Perseverance, character; and character, hope: This is a golden chain of Christian growth and maturity. One virtue builds upon another as we grow in the pattern of Jesus.

Josh, you stated "So they say one has to persevere in holiness to be saved." I believe the "they" you are referring to is the two evangelists you mentioned, but they are WRONG. You have to be SAVED FIRST, BORN AGIN BY THE BLOOD OF LORD JESUS, ACCEPT HIM AS SAVIOR AND LORD, and THEN you can  PERSEVERE thorough the tribulations of life which builds character which builds up hope which helps to living a sanctifying life in Christ.

I hope this helps.  

Dr Don Howe, RN, PhD, ThD  

Dr Don Howe

I welcome questions that deal with addictions, drug abuse, military issues, theological issues, relationship issues, church history, world religions, current events from a Christian worldview, "gray areas" that are present today, church growth movements, false prophets, spiritual abuse issues, end time events, prophecy, medical ethical issues, hermeneutical questions, and how Israel fits into God's economy today. I will answer all questions in a grammatical/historical normative interpretation of God's Word. If you are looking for a liberal theological answer or argument, do not ask. I am not an expert on church planting or evangelism. I am Military Chaplain in the Texas State Guard in Texas and would enjoy questions from soldiers in the military, their families, and children dealing with religious/spiritual issues/marriage issues/assimilation back into the civilian life issues/addictions. I welcome questions dealing with addictions and the problems that lifestyle places on people's lives.

I have over 20 years of experience doing ministry as a bivocational minster and Military Chaplain. I have over 39 yrs of experience as Registered Nurse. I am a Military Chaplain in the TXSG in Texas and welcome questions from military. I am a Chaplain with the TX DPS department and Certified Master Chaplain with the American Board of Certified of Homeland Security. I do ministry as a volunteer with ministries that are nonprofit and not able to pay for ministers. I have experience working with youth, children, elderly in different placement settings, mentally ill and mentally challenged in different settings, felons in state prison and county jails, hospital chaplaincy, choir ministry, and deacon ministry. I am an ordained SBC minister. I am a Professional Chaplain. I am currently doing hospital ministry, ministry to shut-ins, and a chaplain with Victim Relief Ministry working with victims of disasters and domestic violence. I have over 43 yrs of experience in Mental Health field and specialize in Addictions. Also work as a professional nurse in federal agency.

American Association of Christian Counselors, Nurses Christian Fellowship, Therpon Institute, Victim Chaplain & Counselor Association of America, International Board of Christian Counselors, American Society of Christian Therapists, International Nurses Society in Addictions. National Center for Crisis Management American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress American Board of Certified Master Chaplains (ABCMC),

PhD, Therapon University, USVI, 12/07 in Biblical Counseling, DCC, Southwest Bible College & Seminary, Jenning, LA 04/05 in Christian Psychology and Counseling. ThD, Slidell Baptist Seminary, Slidell, LA 02/04 D.D., Slidell Baptist Seminary, Slidell, LA 07/03 Tyndale Seminary, Fort Worth, TX 2001-2003 BSN, Univ. of Texas in Arlington, Tx 05/93 ADN, Midwestern State Univ., Wichitia Falls, TX 5/77 Covenant Medical Center in Lubbock, Externship 08/04-12/05, 4 units of CPE earned.

Certified Addictions Registered Nurse by International Nursing Society on Addictions. Board Certified Christian Counselor by International Board of Christian Counselors. Issued 01/24/06. Board certified as Expert in Traumatic Stress by the American Academy Of Experts In Traumatic Stress (BCEST). Fellow (FAAETS) of the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress. DAPA and FAPA by American Psychotherapy Association. Diplomate (DAAETS) of the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress. Diplomate (DNCCM) of the National Center for Crisis Management, issued 11/18/09. Currently serve as Secretary on the American Board of Certified Master Chaplains (ABCMC), which is an Advisory Board under the American Board for Certification in Homeland Security (ABCHS). Certified Addictions Registered Nurse (CARN).