Baptists/Mormons at our Gospel meetings.

Question
Hi Dr. Shultz,

I was hoping you could take a few moments to give your take on a matter.  Myself and typically four or five other individuals meet every Wednesday night for a Bible study.  We are all from the same congregation, this being a structured part of our church.  Lately, there has been a L.D.S. gentleman attending after being invited by the small group director.  All of us have enjoyed having him attend.  Our meetings are very Christ-centered, so we get the Gospel message out pretty clearly.  He seems to be dedicated to his L.D.S. faith, but we all get the sense the Holy Spirit is working on him.    

After last Wednesday's meeting, he asked us if he could invite some other people to take part in our Bible study- specifically, L.D.S. missionaries and a few other members from his ward.  We are all a little uncertain about this.  All of us are longtime Utah residents, so we understand that when a Mormon says, "I'd like to introduce you to two of my friends," it is typically not just for casual conversation.    

And herein lies our dilemma.  Do we throw the doors wide open, hoping that these L.D.S. friends and neighbors come to a saving knowledge of the Truth?  Or, conversely, do we exercise too much discretion and harm potential relationships with some folks who desperately need the true Gospel?

What is your take on the matter?

Much thanks,

Aaron

Answer
Aaron, this is one that ultimately you and your pastor will need to answer.  

My thoughts are that more often than not, this will lead you away from you intended purpose of the meetings.  You will end up debating Mormonism and not spending time in a discipleship setting, which I would assume is the purpose of your small group.  It is more important for you to get closer to Jesus than it is to debate heresy.  A heretic after the second admonition we are not to have anything to do with let alone engage in debates that will never end or end well.   

Often these kinds of scenarios are meant to be disruptive.  Their concept is that they have already gained a victory by you allowing the first guy there. If the missionaries come it will be another one in their mindset and will encourage them to press on.  I would graciously decline the offer, but you have to make that call.  

One thing you should know is that when they start bearing you testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church of God this is like an ultimatum or even somewhat of a curse indicating you better listen up and convert.  I would just politely reverse it by saying that "I bear you testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is NOT the true church of God."  That will surprise them.  Most Baptists do not know what they are doing when the LDS folks say this.

http://www.mrm.org/

I would do some study on this site before I would engage any of the missionaries.  Pray for the fellow and if he is willing to come and listen that is fine, but if everything starts heading back to an LDS evangelism dialog it would be best to ask him to leave the group. While we are to pray and love people we are not to abide in debate and doubtful disputations with heretic or scorner.  

May God grant you wisdom and discernment as you seek His will.  

Baptists

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz