Baptists/Will what I've seen ever stop bothering me

Question
I recently found Christ, around 6 months ago. I was an atheist for all my life, though never an anti-theist. In other words even though I didn't believe I never felt religion was bad.

Before I found God I was heavy into pornography, it was one of the easiest ways to relieve stress and relax. I would masturbate at least 2 or 3 times a day, spend 2 or more hours a day on average looking at porn.

While sometimes the porn would be movies of men and women having sex, I got to where that emotionally bothered me (made me feel lonely) so I started a long time ago looking at and watching Japanese cartoon porn (hentai).

It was very weird, but helped me relieve sexual stress without actually looking at real people.

The problem was that most hentai deals with younger looking women, and slowly I found myself looking at almost solely pedophilic and incest based cartoon stuff. That eventually led me to read stories that were written involving the same thing.

Now while I never actually looked at anything realistic like that, and have never felt a desire for actual children or young girls, I have seen a lot of the cartoon stuff.

It just haunts me, what I've seen, what I've read. I feel it's taints everything. When I see a mom and son walking around I wonder sexual things, when I play a video game or watch a cartoon I think about the stuff I've seen.

It bothers me, it tears me apart so much. I feel ashamed for what I did, I feel ashamed for what I've seen.

Will this ever go away? I know it will lessen. Christ has given me such strength since I accepted him into my heart! He helped me almost instantly give up pornography of all types and even masturbating! Something witch prior to having him in my life I couldn't go even 3 days without doing no matter how hard I tried.

I am so grateful for the strength God has given me, for his hand on my shoulder to lead me through the dark times.

It's just I sometimes feel so terribly tired and lost because of the things I've seen, that I used to actively look for.

Will this ever go away? Will I ever be able to watch a cartoon with my kids or nieces (I don't have children) and not think perverted things? Will I ever be able to have a healthy relationship with a woman?

I turn to the Word when I have my moments of weakness, I turn to prayer, and God answers them and keeps me strong.

I just feel corrupted and tainted.

I know I'm born again, I know I'm a new creation, I know that my sins are not held against me because Christ removed them.

I just can't get over my own feeling of guilt, my feeling that no family member or wife or child will ever be able to accept me for what I used to look at.

Will this always haunt me?

Answer
Jusitn thank you for your question. God does forgives us of all our sins. In 1 John 1:9 states "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

When you have addictions like you have, the scars are deep and appear to last for ever. This is what porn does to people. But what you need is to find a good Christian Counselor and work through your issues. So do this ASAP.

I suggest you find a church that has a Celebration Recovery Support group and start attending it. Celebration Recovery was started by Rick  Warren  and is Christian based on the Beatitudes.

Find you a Bible Believing Church that believes in the teaching of the Bible. Attend the Church every Sunday, get involved in doing some part of ministry in the Church, and find you  a strong Sunday School. Get involved to associate with fellow believers who can come around you and who can pray with you.  

If you have drug addictions issues get into a 28 day inpatient treatment or INTENSIVE OUTPATIENT TREATMENT. If you have any mental issues such as depression, find you a Christian psychiatrist because you may need medication of some sort.

You are a new Christian and need other belivers around you help you walk through. You are vulnerable as you are new babe in the faith.

Continue to read your Bible everyday and ask God for guidance everyday. You have to do this everyday.

But God will help you and it will get better but you have to persevere.

I will be praying for you.

Blessings,

Dr Don  Howe, RN, PhD, ThD, CARN  

Baptists

Dr Don Howe