Baptists/The word GOD

Question
QUESTION: I understand that the trinity teaches that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Ghost) are tree separate and distinct individuals.

According to my King James Bible when ever I see the word LORD in capitals it refers to Yahweh (or Jehovah).  Is that referring to the Father, Jesus, the Spirit or all three.

Basically I want to know when we read in the Bible the word "God" as the True God an not the false gods that many people worshiped, just who does that refer to.  Is it the Father, the Son of the Holy spirit or is it all 3.

Thank you

ANSWER: Ben:

Thank you for your question. There are many Names for God in the Bible and one needs to look at the context or go to the original language to determine which is being used. You are correct, when the Bible uses the word "LORD" is is referring to YHWH or Jehovah--that is God, the Father. When it is "Lord" that is most generally Elohim--or God, the Son. However, since God is a Trinity (one God in three Persons) whenever we see the Name of God in any form it refers to all three.   Often there is a reference to "Jesus Christ" or "the Lord, Jesus Christ" it means God, the Son. "Holy Spirit" or "Holy Ghost" is God, the Holy Spirit (Ghost). Additionally, if you read about "THE Angel of the Lord" it is a pre-incarnate manifestation of Jesus Christ, whereas "AN angel of the Lord" is just that, an angel.

One way to distinguish between the One True God and a false god is that the true God will have a capital G and a false god will have a lowercase g. Also, the context of the passage should tell you whether or not the reference is to God or "a god".

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer,

I was reading John and found this text. John 20:19  “Jesus said to her, do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My father but go to My bretheren and say to them, I am ascending to My Father and your Father and to My God and your God”

Who is the God that is the same one as Jesus had and his bretheren had. Jesus said that his father was the same God and Father of his bretheren.  How can Jesus have a God if he is part of the Godhead

Jesus as I understand it was a Jew. The people he ministered to were Jews. So the God of the Jews in the time of Jesus was the LORD. The word LORD refering to one LORD God of Deutiromony 6:4. How would Mary and the bretheren have understood what Jesus said?

Answer
John 20:17 is talking about Jehovah--God the Father. Jesus many times refers to Jehovah as His Father--He is the Son of God and God the Son. Jesus also refers to God the Father as His God (here in John 20:17;  Mark 15:34; Revelation 3:2). In Romans 15:6 Paul talks about "the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ".   This is an affirmation that there is one True God. The God and Father of Jesus Christ is also our God and Father. Mary Magdalene and the disciples would have understood that. .  

Baptists

Dr. Billy Kryger