today in church ,I witnessed a woman baptizing some people.I've never seen a woman do that and was wondering if that was in-line with biblical teaching?I assume I attend a bible based church(Northwood Christian church)

Hello Ed, my internet has been down and is still down so sorry I am a bit tardy in my responding to your question.   

You will not find anything like that in Scripture either so your church may be bible based, but interpretation is always the issue.  We live in an age influenced by the feminist movement and one where the churches try very hard to please the culture, which is not their mission. Their mission is to save souls and saved souls change the culture not the culture changing the Church.  Thus we have women pastors/chaplains/etc when nowhere in the OT or NT will we find women in such offices.  

While I agree that there are plenty of places for women to serve outside of the nursery and kitchen we must be careful not to just throw the Bible to the curb to please the culture or affirm the great worth of women to the church, family and nation.   

If Jesus were going to change the roles of men and women it is reasonable to assume that He would have had chosen at least one woman disciple/apostle. Indeed, one could have been chosen to replace Judas. While there were many women followers they were in the roles of student and supporter.  They were not being prepped to be Apostles or Pastors or Teachers of the Word. You have to just tear out or run roughshod over many Scriptures to get past that fact.  Indeed, 1 Cor 11 shows the roles of man and women being as eternal or similar as the roles between God and angels, God and Man. Interestingly enough angels are affected by the actions of women, which is another reason they should serve within their role.  Doesn't really say how they are affected, but women are enjoined to do something for the angels' sake so is it petty and temporal?  Point to ponder at least.  

Baptism is really something that should be done by the pastoral/male leadership as it is an ordinance of the church.  Since a woman is not to be in such a position she would not be baptizing anyone.  There is no sacramental or saving merit in the act of baptism so the one being baptized is not responsible for what staff member did it and has acted in obedience to Scripture to be baptized by immersion upon profession of faith.  The pastor of the church will have to explain to the Lord why he put that policy in place or did not seek to change it if he inherited it.  

Some would say it is a petty thing and others would call me chauvinist.  Actually, I am just trying to be true to Scripture. If I had any clear Scripture pointing to women in such roles I would be just as happy as a pig in mud, but I cannot either in direct doctrine or in principle so neither by letter or spirit can it be justified so there is no chauvinism involved.  Petty?  Well, if the Word says one thing and you do another is it really petty?  Since the Spirit was sent to lead us into ALL truth is there such a thing as a petty issue if God took the time to speak to it?  The reason we have so many stripes of churches is because we have developed the attitude of essential and non-essential doctrine as well as just flat out rewriting the rules to please ourselves like Pharisees or not believing what it says like the Sadduccees. Balance is very hard to find these days.

Horatio Bonar saw what we are experiencing today many years ago.

I don't normally promote my book here, but if you would like more teaching on women here you go.  You will find it cheaper on  I taught this a a group of feisty women and survived so I must have done a fair job on it.   ;-)

Blessings to you as you seek His will through His Word!  

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz

I am more of a polemicist than an apologist. I especially desire to answer questions concerning discipleship/holiness, "gray areas", etc. If all you wish is an argument then I am not your man. Sincere seekers only need e-mail me.

I have ministered in several states since my conversion in 1975. I participate in many forums and have written two books. I recently changed to Assembly of God, but after 40 years, I can still answer questions about Baptists and doctrinal issues that are common to many sects.

American Association of Christian Counselors since 2009
Texas Navy Association since 2008
Texas Civil Defense since 2008-10
American Legion since 2002
Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels, since 1994
Life Member NCOA, 1973
Dover AFB Honor Guard, 1971-73

Poem, "Cowboy Up" published in an anthology by American Poets Society, 2004
Author, Jail House Religion, Xulon Press, 2004
Author, The Power of Holy Women, Xulon Press, 2003
Messianic Literary Corner published 45 poems, 2003+
Tract “Which Way To God” published on, 1998
Several poems published on various web pages, 1997,1998,1999
Author, Metamorphosis, copyrighted, partially published collection of poetry, 1968-94
Article, “Why I Prefer Expository Preaching”, published in Canyonview Bible Seminary's Expositor, 1988

Doctor of Theology, Slidell Baptist Seminary, Slidell, LA, 2001, Summa Cum Laude
Master of Theology, Christian Bible College, Rocky Mount, NC, 2000, Summa Cum Laude
Bachelor of Religious Education , Administration minor, Piedmont Baptist College, Winston-Salem, NC, 1982, Cum Laude
Evangelical Teacher Training Association, Teachers Diploma, Winston-Salem, NC, 1982
Other study: Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, AL - 1975-78
Upper Iowa University, Fayette, IA - 1976-77
Interim Ministry For Today's Churches - 2000

Heritage Registry of Who's Who, 2006-2007
Editor's Choice Award, International Library of Poetry, 2003
America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals 2001-2002
Stratmore Who's Who, 2001-2002
Guest Class Speaker Texas A&M, Commerce, 1999
Gubernatorial Commendation by Texas Veterans Commission, 1999
Dallas VA Certificate of Pride in Public Service, 1999
Guest on the Kevin Bullard radio program KPBC AM 770,1997
Who's Who in the South and Southwest, 1996
Editor's Choice Award, National Library of Poetry, 1995
Who's Who in Poetry, 1992
United States Army Achievement Medal, 1990
Personal testimony dramatized for international radio program Unshackled, 1986
Outstanding Young Men of the South, 1981
United States Air Force Commendation Medal, 1978
Two USAF suggestion awards, 1976
NCO of the Quarter, 1975
Freedom Foundation Award, 1975