Baptists/Is it always by grace?

Question
Hi Ronald, i was talking to a friend about grace and  he believes that nobody searches for god not even  through the whole bible and he  mentions Romans 3, but there's other verses that says the contrary like acts 17,Isaiah 55:6, I chronicle 28:9. In the other hand we have grace, which means god finds you,
Is that all ways the case for every christian? I believe that it goes both ways , meaning for some peope is by grace and by other is by people seeking god. Am i wrong here?

Answer
Eph 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

It is always of grace.  No one was saved in the OT or NT, but by grace.  There are none that are predisposed to seek after God, but that does not mean that life's circumstances may not make someone look for answers and in the process "find" God.  Even as saved people it is easier to depend on ourselves and trust in the answers of man than to seek God. God never lost us so He does not have to find us, but we do have to find Him as redeemer before we find Him as judge.  

Jesus said, "If I be lifted up I will draw all men to me."  so while we do not have a natural impulse to seek God but because He draws all men they will seek Him, but not all will find because they find a false shepherd or if they do understand the Gospel they will reject Him thus "many are called, but few are chosen."  God, in His foreknowledge, know who will respond to the call and be saved and who will not thus the ones who He knew are elect/chosen.  

This is part of the centuries' old debate over sovereignty and free will.  Both positions have some truth , but also some error.  It is indeed sovereign grace for as we see in the verse He, as sovereign, provided a plan for grace by faith, provided us with the ability to have faith and gave us the object/person to have faith in.  So it is all of Him and by Him yet He ordained free will to accept His grace.  He has that right to allow us to accept/reject His offer and plan of grace.  

Adam and Eve made a choice.  Satan made a choice.  Everyone down the pike has had a choice or else "whosoever will" and "make you calling and election sure" and "examine yourselves" are senseless and even deceptive it no one has a choice.  Once you say you will draw all men to you the TULIP dies. Indeed, God is no respecter of persons so none are denied the opportunity to receive grace nor are they forced to take it.  A King can ordain what He wills so if He ordains a plan that allows surrender and signing of a pardon by faith He does not surrender any sovereignty.  Indeed, the sovereign grace people rob Him of His sovereignty by denying Him the right to allow free will.  

Hopefully, this has shed some light on your question.  may God richly bless you as you seek His will through His Word.

Baptists

Dr. Ronald E. Shultz