Baptists/Mormons

Question
I studied with Mormons for a while. I am confused about many things I saw, and many things I heard. They are called Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, they have statues of Jesus on their premises,they have communion. However, at no time was the gospel read,no mention of Jesus that I remember, except at communion. I was told very angrily that the Bible is a man made book and not relevant. Only the book of Mormon is to be used, not the Bible. All they talk about is the book of Mormon, and those inside it. They have living saints according to them. My question is, are they Christians, or a smoke-screen so to speak, using images of Jesus, his name in what religion they are, a communion service. To me these are just words to confuse people. What in your opinion are they, Christians or non Christians?

Answer
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your questions.  I will try to be as simple and to the point as I can about these folks.  Many Mormons are good people seeking to live a moral life, but they are blinded to Bible truth.  The truth has been taken from them and a counterfeit gospel has taken its place.

1.  They have been given Another Bible.  Their Book says "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ".

The problem is that when John wrote the last chapter of the last book of the Bible, he said that there should be no one to add any more words to it!  The Bible was completed... any more "revelation" then would be a fake.

Revelation 22:1819 (AV)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

2.  They have been given Another gospel.

Their book claims to be another testament, another gospel of Jesus.  These folks teach that one earns eternal favor through works, not faith alone... and that is not the Gospel of the Bible.

Galatians 1:69 (AV)
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Ephesians 2:89 (AV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

3.  They have been given another Jesus.

In the Bible we are told that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.

Micah 5:2 (AV)
2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

The New Testament tells us that Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

Luke 2:47 (AV)
4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) 5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. 6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. 7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

The fake Bible... the Book of Mormon tells us that Jesus was to be born in Jerusalem

Alma 7:10
10 And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.

These two cities were far apart by old world standards...  To fulfill Micah's prophecy the real Messiah had to be born in Bethlehem.... but the Mormon messiah was not.

So to answer your question.  Mormonism does not square with the Bible, they are an alternative to Biblical Christianity, different from what the Bible taught or intended.

I hope that this helps you.  

In Christ
Pastor Don

Baptists

Pastor Don Carpenter