Baptists/second hand smoke

There are people in this world that I like and they profess to be Christian. I do not dispute their claim at all.
 However some of these people smoke cigarettes, as well as strangers in public. I tend to just go away when they smoke or if I should ask someone for directions and they pull out a cigarette and light up I FRET over it and begin to inhale very shallowly as I breathe. Should I relax a bit and not worry about inhaling a small amount of second hand smoke from time to time, especially if it is outdoors? It isn't that I worry that it is a sin but rather that I just don't want even a micromite of smoke in me. Am I being too obsessive? Thank you.

Hi Ray,
   Thank you for your question. You are correct in not wanting to inhale second hand smoke.  Our health is too important to ignore.  I know several people who did not smoke and died of second hand smoke.  When someone start to light up I simply respectfully ask them not too or I tell them I will return when they have finished their cigarette.  In most states it is illegal to smoke in doors and  in Utah in public.   I think it is a great law.
   You are certainly not being too obsessive in my opinion and if you are we both are!
Thanks for writing.
If you have further questions or comments please write.

Cooper P Abrams III
Romans 12:1-2
"You cannot serve God without serving others."

"Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. Let all your things be done with charity"  (1 Corinthians 16:13-14 )

For a clear explanation of God's plan of salvation please go to: http:\\  

Cooper P. Abrams III

Independent Fundamental Baptist missionary and pastor, ThB, MBS, and PhD as of May 28, 2013. I began pastoring in 1981, and have taught in churches, a Bible college, and a Bible Institute. I have written numerous articles on various subjects from a biblical perspective and many are posted on my web site Bible Truth ( ). Bible Truth receives over one hundred and forty thousand visiters per month. Since 1998 I have answered Bible related questions via e-mail. My answers are straight forward and biblical. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -----DO NOT ASK A QUESTION AND THEN NOT READ THE ANSWER! ABOUT FOUR IN TEN QUESTIONS ASKED ARE NEVER READ. I FREELY GIVE MY TIME TO GIVE HELPFUL ANSWERS. OFTEN THE ANSWER WILL REQUIRE AS MUCH AS A HOUR OR MORE TO RESEARCH AND THEN TO FORMULATE THE REPLY. IF YOU SEND A QUESTION PLEASE BE THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT. MOST PEOPLE DO...BUT ALL SHOULD. THANKS

I have been a pastor since 1981 and a Independent Baptist missionary church planter since 1986. I have seen the Lord establish four Bible believing churches in Utah. My web site Bible Truth ( http:\\ ) continues to grow presently over 7,000 visiters per day. The materials on the web site are mostly written by myself and contain sermons, Bible commentaries, articles on various biblical subjects.

I am pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, Tremonoton, Utah (

- Appeared on Grizzly Adams DVD documentary "End Times: How Close Are We?" ( - Article "Are Mormons Christians" "O Timothy Magazine" Way of Life Literature (

ThB (Bachelor Degree in Theology) Piedmont Bible College, Winston-Salem, NC. MBS (Mastor of Biblical Studies) Piedmont Baptist College, Winston-Salem, NC. PhD (Bible) Bethany Divinity College and Seminary, Dothan, AL

Graduated Suma Com Laude with PhD Religion - Bible Major, Bethany Divinity College and Seminary - 2013