Baptists/Catholic with Soon to be Baptist In Laws

Question
My soon to be husband is Baptist and I am Roman Catholic.  We have been engaged for almost a year.  This is a touchy question as I have to ask it without it appearing offensive as not any offense is intended.

My family is fully embracing of his Christianity and his church and it's a non issue with them.

His family while loving me very much makes it known through off beat little comments and remarks that they don't like it that I am Catholic.  This hurts me but I love his family.

My concern is that after marriage things could get worse with his family and I don't want this to happen.  

The marriage date is set.  We are being wed by a mutual pastor friend being Methodist as we didn't want to marry either Baptist or Catholic as either one would be be 'taking sides' and could cause his family or mine issues with the ceremony.  

I've walked with Jesus all of my life from the time I was just a little girl and could understand.  My fiance has done the same.  We are both Christians.  Both of our familes are Christians.

We have discussed simply attending a non denominational Christian Church after we are wed and raise our future child in such church.  

His family is great!  It's just the bordering rude off beat little comments and remarks they make to me or to both of us which hurt me and then it hurts him.  I don't want him to end up pulling away from his family - it's the last thing I want.  But we will soon be husband and wife and I need to know how to handle any issues about our attending a non denominational church after we are wed.  My family while not liking the idea is open to it and hasn't yet judged it as good or bad.  He says his family will find out when it happens.  This is where I need His Grace the most as I have to handle any opposition in the manner of a Christian woman.  

With all of this you might think I dislike his family but I assure you I love them and I know they love me as they have told me they love me.  I know they won't change their views on my being a Roman Catholic but I would like to know how to deal with them in a way which shows my true heart as their Christian daughter in law.

I respect the Baptist Church for real and with my heart.  We are all the Body.  The name on the door of the church is not what counts as there are not any denominations in heaven.

God Bless you and I Thank You in advance for your reception of my question and for your anticipated answer.  

Kylie  Hawbaker
New Jersey

Answer
Dear Kylie,
   Thanks for writing.  Even the best matched marriages are difficult to maintain, so for families to question and warn about any differences before it is too late, would actually be in the best interest of all involved.  Maybe that will help accept the comments in a positive manner?
   The Bible’s definition of the Body is not all inclusive.  However, as you have mentioned, it is not defined by a church or denomination.  Romans 12, which describes the Body, starts out saying that Christians are to be a living sacrifice by the mercies of God—we have to recognize that none of our efforts or good deeds will put us into the Body—we have to die or surrender and receive the gift of God (His mercy) that we don’t deserve.  I Corinthians 12 also speaks of the Body.  Verse 13, For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one Body.  Romans 6 explains that baptism when our old nature is crucified with Christ, so we can receive the new nature empowered by the resurrection of Christ.  That chapter ends with the bad news, good news method of becoming a part of the Body.  “The wages of sin is death (we all are separated forever from a perfect God because of our sins.); but the gift of God (we can’t earn it) is eternal life (forever WITH God) through Jesus Christ our Lord. (We entrust our life for Him to guide as our Lord)  Jesus did provide His Body in place of our sinful body, but I have to choose between believing Jesus is a better Boss, or that I am a better boss of my life.  If I belong to Jesus, I can’t take credit for the good deeds He has provided for me to walk in. (Ephesians 2:10)
   There will probably be people in many different churches and denominations who consider themselves Christians, but are not in the Body. Matthew 7:22-23 “Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?  And then will I (Jesus) profess unto them, I never knew you”
   Even more important than an earthly marriage, is the marriage of Christ and the church, His Body. Ephesians 5:30-32.  To walk with Him is to encourage others to receive God’s gift of His perfect Body in exchange for our imperfect life.  II Peter 3:9 The Lord is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.  Some people will not repent, and others don’t think they NEED to repent, but God offers His love in “marriage” to those who do repent.
   May we keep God’s salvation as the most important aspect of our lives, so other issues will not bother us as much, knowing all else in the life is temporary.  It’s not easy, but through Christ all things are possible. Philippians 4:13  Read the Bible daily for His strength and guidance. John 6:63 “the words I (Jesus) speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”  John 1:1-4 The Word (Jesus) was with God and made all things.  In Him was life.
   I’m glad you are interested in God at a young age.  May your life reflect His glory for many years to come.
   Sincerely,
   Priscilla

Baptists

Mrs. Priscilla Lyons