Baptists/forgiveness

Question
I am at a complete loss of understanding as to what forgiveness is. Allow me to explain: When God forgives sin, according to the bible it is in the following way:
1)" In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness." Hebrews 9:22. So we see the in when God forgives it is with the shedding of blood
2) 1)" God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God". 2 corinthians 5:21. So God took our sins and Jesus turned into them according to this verse and many others.
3) Then Jesus (who now was our sin) died on the cross and our sins - which Jesus was, died along with him.
4) So God didnt just pardon our sins and say "I'll let them slide if you say im sorry and repent". What he did was to exact punishment (the punishment of Jesus and his death on the cross). He punished our sins, demanded bloodshed and killed them and THAT is how we are forgiven.
    My inability to understand forgiveness comes in here - When God wants me to forgive someone for a sin such as stealing from me, he certainly doesnt want me to shed blood and exact punishment on a cross by to before I forgive that perons sins.
     So I guess my question is - If I am forgiving sins, but Im not doing it the way God did it.....Then by what way am I forgiving them.
    I really need to understand this, I am totally baffled and have no idea what forgiveness really is.

Answer
Hi Peter,

I am so sorry for my very late response.  There are two issues when it comes to our sin.  Sin must be paid for, then sin must be forgiven.

The payment for sin is death.  This is what Jesus did when He died on the cross... He covered the price for our sin.

Romans 6:23 (AV)
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

When Jesus died, He became our sin so that when we believe, we can positionally become His righteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (AV)
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

When we believe, the penalty of our sin is removed and the presence of God's righteousness is added... this is much more than forgiveness... this is a state of righteousness.

Romans 3:2122 (AV)
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Romans 4:49 (AV)
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

Ok... so once you trust Jesus to save you, you are adopted into the family of God and God becomes your adopted Father.  Now it is this relationship that gives you how we are  to forgive.  We sin against the Father and that places a block in our relationship.  If we confess that sin, we are restored to a relationship in good standing.

Romans 8:15 (AV)
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

1 John 1:9 (AV)
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So...  when we forgive others, we are releasing our claim to retribution... we are bringing things back to a clean slate.  No... we cannot pay the price for someones sin by shedding blood... Jesus already did that... we are releasing our claim for retribution.

I hope that this helps.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Baptists

Pastor Don Carpenter